PEAS ANYONE?

porkypuffer

I FOUND SOMETHING NEW THAT ALL OF MY FISH LIKE, ENGLISH PEAS. RAW OR COOKED IN BUTTER AND SWEET BAZIL, ETHER WAY, THEY NEARLY FIGHT OVER THEM.

dennish

What exactly are "english peas"?. Something available in a grocery store? Fresh, frozen. or canned (or are they dried)?
Also has anyone ever tried canned corn
? I don't know if it is good for them, but when I go fishing and nothing's biting, I used to try a few kernels of corn and I would get a hit almost immediately, every time. Nothing very big, but I usually catch and release anyway. Not sure if it's good for them, but they sure seem to love it.

porkypuffer

SOME PEOPLE CALL THEM JUST PLAIN PEAS, THOSE LITTLE GREEN ROUND THINGS THAT ROLL OFF YOUR FORK. THE ONES I GET ARE FROOZEN.

polka

So let me get this straight, you give your fish peas? How? Just drop them in the tank? I guess I never thought of fish being vegitarian. I read that you could give them lettuce, but I thought that was supposed to replace the live plants if you don't have them in your tank. More info please.

smus

Hi I used to keep oranda goldfish and now have the marines but I was told to fed the orandas peas. Then when I talked to an expert he said NO the skins of the peas were most definitely harmful to the fish. Maybe if you can skin them first but I would reconsider and I would never give them to my fish. I mean the skin on the pea itself not the pod it comes in. User beware

porkypuffer

WHEN I WENT TO HAWAII, I WENT SNORKELING IN A COVE AND WE WERE GIVEN PEAS TO FEED TO THE FISH. THEY LOVED IT. MY POCUPINE PUFFER IS THE ONLY FISH I HAVE THAT CAN EAT THEM WHOLE, BUT THE PICASSO TRIGGER, CORAL BEAUTY, AND FOXFACE REALLY GET AFTER THEM. JUST DROP THEM IN WHOLE AND SIT BACK FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT.
THEIR SEAMS TO BE ALOT OF EXPERTS IN THIS HOBBY, MOST WITH DIFFERENT OPINIONS. YOUR EXPERT COULD BE RIGHT, BUT SINCE THEY FEED PEAS TO THE FISH IN HAWAII, AND THE ENVIROMENTALIST IN HAWAII ARE OBSESSED, UNTIL I SEE ANY NAGITIVE RESULTS, I'M GOING TO KEEP TREATING THEM. IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HEARD ANYTHING POSITIVE OR NAGITIVE, I'D LIKE TO HEAR.
[This message has been edited by PORKYPUFFER (edited 05-02-2000).]

mainejo1

Porkypuffer, I WAS THERE!! On the big island, right? I will never forget the feeling of snorkeling and having these beautiful fish literally bumping into my mask and swimming all over me. I think that was the time that I decided I would one day getinto this hobby. At any rate, are you feeding the peas for a treatment for something, or just because? Let me know cause I am doing the garlic thing for ick right now and am open for any option that will keep my fish out of the copper tank!

porkypuffer

I AGREE WITH KEEPING THEM OUT OF THE COPPER IF POSIBLE. I'M FEEDING THE PEAS JUST BECAUSE THEY LIKE IT. I'M DOING THE HYPOSALINITY AND GARLIC FOR THE ICK. WHERE I FED THE FISH IN HAWAII WAS ON THE MAIN ISLAND IN A SMALL COVE ACROSS THE ISLAND FROM HONALULU, SOUTHEAST CORNER. I HAVE A PICTURE OF A RACCOON BUTTERFLY EATING FROM MY HAND, OR SHOULD THAT BE ATTACTING MY HAND.

fishgirl

I'm going to the big island AND the island of Oahu for snorkeling this july!!! I can't wait!!! I want to see yellow tangs, humuhumu's etc. awesome.

reptilicus

Hi,
actually, peas aren't that good for the fish. There not too bad, but aquatic plants seem much better for them than terrestrial ones. I've fed my fish terrestrial vegies before, my emperor angel loved spinach and I've had others go wild over peas, but nori or spirulina flakes seems to be a better choice.
Fishgirl, if it's yellow tangs you want, the Hawaii is the place to go. I've done a fair bit of diving/snorkelling all across the Pacific, and never, ever, have I seen more yellow tangs than on the big island of Hawaii. In fact, I only really saw 3 types of fish; yellow tangs, niger triggers and moorish idols! It's absolutely amazing. And Hawaiian yellow tangs are brighter yellow than any others, I have a big yellow tang in my 180-reef, he is Hawaiian and one of the most beuatiful yellow tangs I have ever seen.
Tom

kris

I have no clue on the whole pea thing, but I was just wondering how the garlic treatment for ick was working. And all you vacationers suck--I'm jealous. I'm 28 years old with 3 kids, 3 dogs,a horse, a cat, a very expensive fish tank, a huge

[hr]
, a car that breaks down like clockwork, and bills coming out my ears. By the time I have the opportunity and cash to go snorkeling in Hawaii I'll be too arthritic to actually do it! So you guys enjoy for me, OK.

fishgirl

Originally posted by reptilicus:
Fishgirl, if it's yellow tangs you want, the Hawaii is the place to go. I've done a fair bit of diving/snorkelling all across the Pacific, and never, ever, have I seen more yellow tangs than on the big island of Hawaii. In fact, I only really saw 3 types of fish; yellow tangs, niger triggers and moorish idols! It's absolutely amazing. And Hawaiian yellow tangs are brighter yellow than any others, I have a big yellow tang in my 180-reef, he is Hawaiian and one of the most beuatiful yellow tangs I have ever seen.
Tom

Cool, I have 1 of the hawaiian yellow tangs as well! They rock! And I use a combo of terrestail veggies (romaine and spinnach) and aquatic ones (Spirilina flakes, nori) 4 my tang, Tango. I thought there would be alot of humuhumunukunukuapauaa triggers there as well. Some friends of mine who went last year said they saw tons of them.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think the garlic works the same way it works for dogs....the ick [and flees] don't like it....or, perhaps it works like it does for humans....the vampires don't like it!

mainejo1

In response to how the garlic is going, I'll give you my personal update. My coral angel, Phoebe, was covered with ich. She continued to eat well and acted fine except for occasional itching. I have a regular cleaner shrimp and a port wine cleaner, and they both were all over her. I bought coppersafe and set up my QT, but could not bring myself to take her out of her tank. So, I took one clove of garlic and cut in in about 8 pieces. Mixed in frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and let it sit in the fridge about 12 hours. Fed the fish two to three times a day and Phoebe was clear and beautiful after the second day. However, my yellow tang now has it, and I am doing the same treatnent and it is not working as well on her. She is also acting fine and eating well, so I am just going to watch her too. I may try some Greenex as everyone assures me it will be OK for my shrimp, anenome, and sea pen. Any other stories or suggestions?

reptilicus

Hi,
I might be a bit of a "naturalist", but I have found the best treatment for ick is just to leave it alone, no chemicals. I simply raise the temperature to about 27C, about 84F I think, and leave them alone. I have an ozonizer on my tank which seems to work well in preventing re-infection. I also feed garlic, I crunch mine in a garlic crusher, then put it into a small glass of water with b/shrimp and nori, and then leave it to soak for a few hours. It definitely did no harm, but I'm not sure how much was acheived. My fish are all ick-free at the moment, the best seems to be just to ride it out. After a while, all your fish will be over it. However, ALL IS NOT WELL YET! Do not introduce any fish for a while, at least a month, and more like 3 months for more sensitive fish. Even though there will be no sign of ick, a new fish will be immidiately infected. Anyway, what I'm saying is that I've always had the best luck with no medication, slightly higher temperatures, an plenty of Spirulina flakes! I might have to try your garlic concoction, as I am keen to experiment further with this.
Fishgirl: where are you going exactly? I've seen the reefs of the islands of Hawaii and Kauii. Hawaii didn't have as much variety, but then again I didn't see that much. I saw a lot more of Kauii, there were some Humuhumnukunukuapuaa, but there were heaps more of the reef triggerfish, (R. aculeatus). The other thing to look for are some beautiful Naso tang (N. lituratus) They are jet black with all the same markings as a normal Naso tang, an absolutely stunning fish. It was about 10 years ago I was there and those things still stick out in my mind.
If you ever get the chance, come over to Australia. We have so many fish, the variety is amazing. It seems that the further west in the Pacific you go, the greater the numbers and diversity of life. I'm sure you'll have a great time, though. Also, do marine biology when you leave school, you won't regret it if you're really interested. There is a lot of great research opportunities. In Australia, we have a University right on the Barrier Reef, so plenty of field work there!
Regards,
Tom