Pellets vs Flake Food

elfdoctors

I am confused as to whether my primary staple food for my tank should be a pellet or a flake food. I supplement periodically with frozen food but need to be able to use an automatic feeder as I am gone frequently.
Which is better for what types of fish?

ozadars

Some fish wont eat the food from the surface so the flake is better IMO but most of the fish wont eat when the food reaches to the bottom also

T

thomas712

Take a look at the type of fish you have. Some are top feeders some bottom, and you have those in between. do they all get fed? or is there very little left for those that are bottom feeders? If they all get fed then things should be fine. If pellets and flakes will fit into the automatic feeder then use a little of both when you are away.
Thomas

elfdoctors

Thanks. Am I to imply that some people use both if they have both bottom and top feeding fish?
Also, it is better for the fish to offer different types of flake and/or pellets or are most marine foods similar in quality?
At this point I have two sebae clowns, a strawberry pseudochromis, a yellow tang, a regal blue tang, a six-line wrasse and two scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp. They all seem to be eating well with the possible exception of the shrimp who are hiding most of the time (much more then I had expected) and come out briefly at feeding time but the food usually is gone by the time they are coming out. I am cautious about overfeeding and assume they are finding scaps here and there. Any suggestions for food types would be appreciated.

ozadars

I always give different types of food to my fish because all have different benefits
Companies frozen foods i give;
-brine shrimp, frozen food called ''garlic'', formula 1
Other frozen things i give;
-shrimp, fish, squid
Flake;
-siprulina, brine, blood worm, gammarus, daphnia, flake called marine,
Live (i give rarely);
-new hatched brine, live mysis, pods that i collect from the seaside
This is what i give to my dottyback and clown, i give different things everyday, each food contains different things for example i give garlic when i see something wrong (illness) on my fish i also give it every week and when i intruduce a new fish this helps them very much

wrassecal

One thing you need to put in every day is a piece of nori for your tangs. I have 2 tangs and I add a couple 2 inch pieces of nori in the morning and the evening. My coral beauty, lawnmower blenny, sixline wrasse eat it also. As for the food, I feed mainly frozen brine, mysis and finely chopped up fresh frozen squid, shrimp etc. I supplement with flake and pellets. Give them a little mixture. Like you said though, don't over feed.

dacia

I agree that you should definitely feed your fish a mixture of different foods. I feed mine brine shrimp, formula 1 flakes, spirulina flakes, and some meaty pellets to the chocolate chip starfish in my FOWLR. I even caught my swallowtail angel nibbling on the plant-life in my other FOWLR.