Penguin 330 problems?

saltywhit67

I have had my tank set up for about 5 months now and when i first started my penguin 330 filters rocked. The bio wheels were spinning fast and you could tell they were moving a ton of water. Now the bio wheels go very slow, the slowest i have seen ever and the water coming out is just an ok amount now. Have any of you had this problem? Solve it? Should i just go buy a different filter? What kind? Emp 400? I have heard great things about these. thanks

lions n nd

as your bio wheels get older they slow down in their turning rate
take some old tank water in a bucket and wrinse them off withit that will help
if your filter is pumping water slower try cleaning your filter intake screen and the attached tube with a pipe cleaner
if still slow take the filter off the tank and give it a good scrub taking it completely apart you probably have algea growing on the magnet for the impeller

spyderbilt

DON"T EVER CLEAN OFF THE BIO WHEELS THEY COVER IN GOOD BACTERIA. Every biowheel i seen slows down after a while. i think they are supposed to

hondo

like the previous post says do not clean the biowheels as you will harm the good bacteria growing on them. they slow down naturally but still function well. the unit itself may need cleaning though and you should pull it out and clean it and the impellar which may have gunk around it restricting water movement. When you clean the unit just leave the biowheels sitting in some tank water so they do not dry out.