peppermint shrimp

just a few quick questions
1. are they nocturnal?
2. how do you feed them if they stay hidden? (well for now)
3. what do they eat just table-scraps from the fish, or do they prefer something else?
4. should enough iodine be present in the changed water (for molting) or is a supplement needed?
ok thats all, thanks in advance for responses!

marvida

1) Yes
2) They cleanup after the fish & on other organisms in the tank. Once thet are comfortable they may come out at feeding time. You can also feed just alittle when the lights are off.
3) Whatever you feed your fish, they will eat.
4) If your tank is getting regular water changes your iodine levels are probably OK. Rule of thumb is that you add no supplements that you don't test for.

so i can basically train them to come out during the day, yay b/c at the store they were out and pickin at the fake coral in the tank, then after acclimation i put it in and it went straight under a rock.

katfish22

My shrimp acted the same way when I first got him into the tank. Shortly after he molted and now he is out and about more. Funny little guys aren't they!

i.t. salty

My Pep stayed hidden in his rock cave for the first 3 weeks
I had him and I grew disappointed that I spent 7 bucks and never saw him... Only when lights were off for a while did he come out. I would sneak in and see him out
Eventually he started coming out intermit and now he stays out all day (lights on) long sitting atop the live rock within easy retreat of his cave..
I use small dry morsels making sure I blow some across the
water surface so that they will sink right on top of his rock.
Its funny watching him look up as it sink towards him and then grab it up...
It's about 4 months old and only one molt I have noticed.
I don't suppl only using instant ocean.
When the large Blue damsel that also owns that rock starts to mess with him he whaps it with his huge long feelers.. LOL