Peppermint Shrimp

t bone

I have read many articles on Aptasia and Peppermint Shrimp. I just started my tank a month ago and purchased some live rock from my lfs that had two aptasia on it. I didn't really care, since I was anxious to just get some life. Well, I put in a Peppermint shrimp two days ago and now all the aptasia are gone. Seemed to really do the trick. What should I be feeding him now that he has had all of his gourmet meals?
-80 gal tank
-Protein Skimmer
-Fludized Sand Filter
-35 lbs of live rock
-Crushed Coral base
-2 Blue Damsels
-1 Clown
-1 Dottyback

q

You don't really need to feed it. It will scavange in the tank and eat any food leftovers. Mine will eat any frozen food that I feed my fish and will try to steal food away from my corals if I don't protect them.

kris walker

I have what I think are aiptasia, but it is hard to say. They are really tiny anemones of some sort, dark brown in color, and they have a firm tube that they retreat into. They initially seemed to spread quickly around the tank, but then their spreading slowed. Two weeks ago I added 3 peppermint shrimp in the 29 gal. So far, they haven't touched the anemones. I am wondering if I have real peppermint shrimp, or if they are not really aiptasia. Any ideas?
EDIT: actually, I'm fairly certain they are peppermint shrimp.
sam

Originally posted by Surfin Sam:
<strong>I have what I think are aiptasia, but it is hard to say. They are really tiny anemones of some sort, dark brown in color, and they have a firm tube that they retreat into. They initially seemed to spread quickly around the tank, but then their spreading slowed. Two weeks ago I added 3 peppermint shrimp in the 29 gal. So far, they haven't touched the anemones. I am wondering if I have real peppermint shrimp, or if they are not really aiptasia. Any ideas?
EDIT: actually, I'm fairly certain they are peppermint shrimp.
sam</strong><hr></blockquote>
What you are refering to are not Aptasia. Aptasia do not have firm tubes. If they are agitated by you or tank inhabitants they will retreat, but they will almost disappear completely. What you are refering to are probably tube or fan worms. Perfectly normal in live rock.
Good luck in the hobby!!
:)

S

sinner's girl

our Peppermint Shrimp love flake food. They'll clean up the sand and rocks so you don't really have to feed them. But if you want to feed them try flakes. I have to put my hand in the tank to push the flakes to the bottom or my fish will eat them all up. the shrimp love it. They'll come out from under the rocks, pick up a flake and eat away. it's fun to watch.
of course you could always set up a tank to grow Aptasia for them...j/j.