Peppermint shrimp

drummerboy

Has anyone actually seen a shrimp molt before? I have one that I either think is molting or dead, but I can't tell. It's not just the shell, I can see body parts inside, but it won't move, and it doesn't look quite right. I just want to know, if it's dead I want to get it out of my tank before it screws up the water parameters, but if it's just molting I want to give it a chance. And if it is dead, that's the second shrimp I will have lost in two days. I just got 5 of them from swf.com. One was pretty decomposed when they got here, I can't believe the rest were still alive with the way that water smelled. Then one died last night about 6 hrs after I put them in. Now it looks like another one is dead! :mad: Everything else is doing fine, my cleaner shrimp and all my livestock, and my water parameters are great. Has anyone else ever had problems with peppermint shrimp?

mlm

I ordered peppermint shrimp from here about months ago and they all came alive. There are only 4 now but I don't know what happened to the other one.

drummerboy

Just to update you, the shrimp is indeed molting. I can see him trying to get out of his old exoskeloton now (it looks like he's having a hard time). So for anyone else, when it looks like you have a dead shrimp give it a while before you take him out of the tank. This should prove very interesting to watch too.