peppermints & nassarius snails

flyguysc

I have a 90 gal. fish only tank glass. I have one coral beauty angel, fire goby, coral banded shrimp, fire shrimp & two peppermint shrimps. I added a Mexican turbo & ten nassarius snails ( all my LFS had) and immediately the pms attacked the nassarius snails. They did manage to kill one. Rolled it around like a soccer ball until they got to the under belly and that was all she wrote. Did not see that coming. Thought the pepper mints where a peaceful bunch. I know that the coral banded is a bit testy but not the pepper mints. Any thoughts.

jay0705

Do u feed your shrimp? They will eat any meat if hungry. If a snail flips and cant rt its self they will eat it. Shrimp are canablistic too. If u add smaller pep shrimp the larger can and will kill and eat them

zoidberg01

Once a coral banded shrimp gets a taste of its tankmates , it won't stop, take him out before it's too late

flyguysc

yes I feed them Mysis shrimp,& formula two by ocean nutrition rich in seafood & algae. Also HBH super soft Krill pellets, & seaweed extreme by Hikari.

jay0705

It was prob just a case where they saw an easy meal and took it. Mine examine new snails but once they attach to glass the snails are good

flower

Hi,

If you feed your shrimp, they won't do their job since their job, which is to search every nook and cranny in the tank to find and eat aptasia, wasted food and dead critters, you don't want them being too fat and happy. I have never had one kill anything before, but I'm kind of with Zoidberg on this, many times a critter will do things out of the norm, and once they do, there is no stopping them from repeating the behavior. I actually had a Hippo tang eat corals, and once it did, it was no longer reef safe for any tank.