Perc acting funny, Help!

becky

I have two per clowns. They have both been doing just great! Then about a day ago the little one stoped eating. He is not as active as he once was. I checked my water and all was fine. amonia, nitrites, nitrates all 0 ph 8.3 , just did a water change. Is there anything i can do! I don't want to loose the little guy! :confused:

tangman99

How long have you had the two together? When you first put two percula clowns together, they will establish a dominance positioning to determine which one will be the female. The female will the larger of the two. If you have not had them long, they may be going through this now and the one that is not eating may the one that is getting the worst end of the deal.
Just one possibility.
Tangman :D

becky

Tang man, When i got them, I bought one one week (the smaller of the two) and then the next week i bought the bigger of the two. When I put the bigger of the two in the tank i didn't see any fighting much. They seem to become instant friends. In fact the smaller of the two (the one that was first) was even more active.
does this help at all??
will he regain eating?? :eek:

wrigley11

A possible problem is that both of the fish have become females. Perc's go through life first becoming males and then females. However once the fish becomes a female it can no longer switch back to a male. If both are females the bigger one will pick on the smaller. This could be one of a dozen reasons why the smaller one is not eating.
In case you don't know, there usually is a big size difference even in perc's between males and females... If you notice the two fighting you may have to seperate them or the larger female will kill the smaller one.
How long has it been since the smaller fish ate and what are you feeding them. They usually eat anything if they are tank raised. Good luck with that one...

wrigley11

A possible problem is that both of the fish have become females. Perc's go through life first becoming males and then females. However once the fish becomes a female it can no longer switch back to a male. If both are females the bigger one will pick on the smaller. This could be one of a dozen reasons why the smaller one is not eating.
In case you don't know, there usually is a big size difference even in perc's between males and females... If you notice the two fighting you may have to seperate them or the larger female will kill the smaller one.
How long has it been since the smaller fish ate and what are you feeding them. They usually eat anything if they are tank raised. Good luck with that one...

becky

I feed them flake food, and i see no fighting. All i see in the little one staying in the same corner of the tank.

moo

Hi, I also have 2 percs. I bought them both a week apart. When I added the second, which was smaller than the first, they got along pretty well right away. Then after a few days, I notice that the bigger one, the first clown I got, was definately the dominant one. I see some minor quarreling between the two, but this only happens at feeding time. The bigger one always eats first. The smaller one would stay in the back. I feed my clowns frozen brine shrimps (they love this stuff)...when I feed..I make sure that some shrimps drifts away from the big clown and heads towards the smaller clown. The smaller one would pick off the drifting shrimps...this way they both get to eat.
I think the main problem is your food..my clowns despise flake food. They'll take it in their mouth but then spits it right out. Try frozen brine shrimp, they'll love you for it ;)

mr.marine

i too have 2 clowns. They also DESPISE flakes. wont even touch em! i think you should try feeding them brine shrimp. about half a block a da is good. what i do is take the half block while still frozen and place it in a plastic baggie. i then crush the block as fine as possible because the clowns generally sway away from big pieces of brine. then i just give em it bit by bit. good luck. id try the brine if i were u. i cant believe they eat flakes! oh well a balance is good! keep us updated and hope we can help!
flame ;)

wrigley11

I'd hold off on the frozen brine and try a food that is better for your fish. I've never seen tank raised perc's not eat the green lifeline frozen food. Just make sure it is not frozen when you throw it into the tank, stays in large pieces that the clowns wont like. Also, are the perc's tank raised, because perc's from the ocean usually die because they will not eat... one of the reasons why most places sell tank raised.
Good luck with the fish...

wrigley11

I'd hold off on the frozen brine and try a food that is better for your fish. I've never seen tank raised perc's not eat the green lifeline frozen food. Just make sure it is not frozen when you throw it into the tank, stays in large pieces that the clowns wont like. Also, are the perc's tank raised, because perc's from the ocean usually die because they will not eat... one of the reasons why most places sell tank raised.
Good luck with the fish...

becky

my clowns are tank rasied. I will try this weekend to get some brine shrimp. Also maybe green food, but the flake food has never been a problem.. i guess until now.
Thanks guys for all your advice!
btw ... they seem to be staying together.. at night the little one sleeps on top of the bigger one on top of the water.
Does this mean i'll have babies soon??? hahahahah :D