Perculas hurt by Urchin?????

waterbaby76

My perculas (2) seem to be getting way too close for my comfort to my long spine urchin. Since I have been accidently poked a few times by his "pokers" Im afraid he'll hurt my clowns...should I worry or can they take care of themselves? :eek:

pufferlover

I would not worry I have a maroon clown in my reef with a spiney urchin and have had no problems with either. In fact altho the urchin moves around quite a bit I have never seen it near where the clown calls home. Now of course there are urchins and there are urchins but if yours is like mine a little whiteish green ball with thin type whiskers or whatever they are called then you should be fine.

waterbaby76

Actually my urchin is black with REALLY LONG thin black spines that have a lot of space between them--theres so much space my crazy (suicidal?) perculas swim right through them. I thought they were mistaking it for a anemone (sp?) LOL :D

pufferlover

Ah so you have what around here we call a penvil urchin almost looks like a space satillite. I still think you are ok. Most Urchins only eat things they can trap in a corner then they use the long thinbgs like a lionfish to trap their prey.

D

diatom

Pufferlover, I think what it actually may be is a Blue Eye Long Spiny Urchin which are IMO actually much nicer in my opinon.

G

gobiodon

Guys,
you have two very similar ones.
One - Black urchin or Wana with dense, long spines,
Two - Blue Eye.. Diadema sp. with kind of scarce long spines,
Can be either one; without seeing it hard to say. But, WaterBaby, make sure it has a diatom or whatever to eat. Otherwise it will start shaving your LRocks of coralline algae.
C. digueti hermits and urchins are very good in it.
Do you want to see something - place it on a green lettuce leaf - it'll stay on it until is eatable. They have a mighty appetite.

waterbaby76

Ive experienced its mighty appetite before. Some time after the ingestion I also experienced some stuff exiting its eye (?)thats located on its top (black with orange around opening)...was weird. Thought it was poop but I might be wrong. Anyone know what it is?