Permanent hyposalinity

oahogset

If I set up a fish-only tank, no live rock, no invertebrates. Is there any reason not to keep the water at hyposalinity-level (13 ppt)? Will the beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrite suffer from such a low salinity on a permanent basis?

m0nk

Originally Posted by oahogset
If I set up a fish-only tank, no live rock, no invertebrates. Is there any reason not to keep the water at hyposalinity-level (13 ppt)? Will the beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrite suffer from such a low salinity on a permanent basis?
The bacterial will be fine but the fish will suffer. Anything below 1.021 is stressful on the fish and most can't survive at that level beyond 5 weeks.

florida joe

I asked the same question way back when and was told and it makes sense while hyposalinity is fine for short term is it not the norm for the fish we keep and at a constant low salinity will be detrimental to the fishes health in the long run

dinogeorge

Hey there Joe,
I have left my fish at levels as low as .07 for six weeks and never had any noticeable problems. Perhaps it could have some long term, unseen effects internally for the fish, but I did not lose a single fish during, or anytime soon after, the hypo.
But I CAN tell you that one of the real problems is that a protein skimmer won’t work very well at those low salinity levels. So it causes toxins and waste to build up in your tank.

al mc

I agree with Dino. I have had several tangs in hypo for 6 weeks with no apparent problems.
. I have not heard/read about anyone using it long term as their SG target.

florida joe

No argument here guys I think the person starting the thread was talking about keeping his fish in a state of hypo indefinitly

al mc

Originally Posted by florida joe
No argument here guys I think the person starting the thread was talking about keeping his fish in a state of hypo indefinitly
no worries/problems here Joe. You give good advice IMO.

ladylinn

Originally Posted by Dinogeorge
Hey there Joe,
I have left my fish at levels as low as .07 for six weeks and never had any noticeable problems. Perhaps it could have some long term, unseen effects internally for the fish, but I did not lose a single fish during, or anytime soon after, the hypo.
But I CAN tell you that one of the real problems is that a protein skimmer won’t work very well at those low salinity levels. So it causes toxins and waste to build up in your tank.
So tell me exactly how the skimmer does not work properly

al mc

Originally Posted by ladylinn
So tell me exactly how the skimmer does not work properly

While I do not pretend to know the exact physics behind it...lowering the salinity changes the surface tension of the bubbles that are formed in the skimmer so you do not get as many bubbles 'survive' long enough to push the organics in the water up the skimmer tubing for deposition/collection.

al mc

I hypo all new fish for a minimum of 3-4 weeks (except species that are finicky eaters like mandarins). The tangs I had in hypo for 6 weeks had confirmed ICH and I wanted my DT to go fallow for 6 weeks. This was about two years ago. Since they tolerated the hypo well and I know that Tangs have been called 'ICh magnets'
I kept them (Sailfin/Hippo) in hypo for a full 6 weeks. They are both alive and doing well today.
I also hypoed an Achilles about 6 months or so ago for 6 weeks as they are reported to be difficult to keep/easily stressed. He/she also was doing so well after 4 weeks that I just pushed it to six weeks. I have read that hypo is
not very stressful for the fish as their natural body salinity is closer to 'hypo' than normal sea water SG of 1.026.

ladylinn

Originally Posted by Al Mc
While I do not pretend to know the exact physics behind it...lowering the salinity changes the surface tension of the bubbles that are formed in the skimmer so you do not get as many bubbles 'survive' long enough to push the organics in the water up the skimmer tubing for deposition/collection.
I ask becuse I think that is the problem with my skimmer. It seems to be working except it does not form foam on top. For months I have salt levels lower than .20. Ive yet have to run into problems

al mc

There are many variables when it comes to skimmers working at their best, but low sg/salinity can be one of them IMO. I run a Remora Pro on my QT tank and it skims great with normal SG but does very little (I run it then to because I am paranoid if I don't something will happen
) when I dilute down to hyposalinity levels.
Biggest other reason for not working: Partially blocked airlines/dirty needlewheels.

janastasio

I lost all my fish except one for keeping them in hypo too long. Did the standard 6 weeks to treat for ick, but didnt keep up the top off so I had variations in the SG. I tried to redo it but the fish couldnt tolerate the lengh of time in the levels. I had them at 1.013 for a good part of the time. I do not recommend what you are asking to do.

1boatnut

Although i would not reccomend hypo indefinately,they certainly can withstand more than 5 weeks.
I kept 5 fish in hypo for months,and all are still alive and doing fine.

oahogset

Thanks alot for the replies everybody.
Is there any fish that can't handle hyposalinity at all (for the recommended 4-6 weeks)?

oahogset

Another question:
Is it ok to keep the quarantine tank at hyposalinity level at all time. Or is it too hard on the new fish to get acclimated from 1.025 (fish store's salinity) to 1.009 over just a few hours? Should I raise the salinity in the quarantine tank to normal levels once I move the healthy fish to another tank, so it's ready for a new fish?

natemd

Another question:
Is it ok to keep the quarantine tank at hyposalinity level at all time. Or is it too hard on the new fish to get acclimated from 1.025 (fish store's salinity) to 1.009 over just a few hours? Should I raise the salinity in the quarantine tank to normal levels once I move the healthy fish to another tank, so it's ready for a new fish?
I would raise it back up. IMO it would be like sitting on the beach in your swimsuit and gradually the temperature goes from 95 degrees to 15 degrees and your still wearing your swimsuit. It might not kill you, but you will be stressed badly. And the whole point of quarantine is to make sure the fish isn't sick and lower stress on the fish.

m0nk

Originally Posted by natemd
I would raise it back up. IMO it would be like sitting on the beach in your swimsuit and gradually the temperature goes from 95 degrees to 15 degrees and your still wearing your swimsuit. It might not kill you, but you will be stressed badly. And the whole point of quarantine is to make sure the fish isn't sick and lower stress on the fish.
Yeah, I agree here. The hypo process suggests lowering the SG/salinity over 48 hours. Anything quicker is likely to kill the fish. This reasoning is also a good reason to keep the SG/salinity at average levels, and when the fish is happy in the QT, then you can lower it over 48 hours.

al mc

Thanks alot for the replies everybody.
Is there any fish that can't handle hyposalinity at all (for the recommended 4-6 weeks)?
I do not know of any fish that can't handle the hypo. However ones with special feeding requirements, like mandarins. Their food source..live 'pods' can't exist in hyposalinity.