Persistent HA

ohioreef

Arrrggggggg!!!!!
I have been fighting HA for 2 or 3 months now. I thought that I'd tried everything but it just keeps coming back.
My nitrates are 0, my PO4 is 0 (I'm running a PO4 reactor), I have chaeto in my fuge and it's growing well. I use RO water for TO and water changes.
I recently upgraded my lighting and I know that is probably part of the problem right now, but even before that I couldn't get it under control.
What am I missing?!?!?!?!?!? I'm at my wits end!!!!
:help: :help: :help: :help:

latino277

i have a simaler problem... I have hair on my glass and on what use to be base rock. now on my lr... there is not. my trites and phos are 0... I theory is that there is something in my DT that is leaching something... like phos. Phos is very hard to test for and we don't get acuate #'s. What I suspect is my base rock. i don't know if this is even the case for... like I said this is just my theory. I don't know it this helps but on the brighter note it does seem to get better over time.

ohioreef

Unfortunately most of my tank is BR. I've wondered if that might not be the case. I guess until it all leaches out I'll have issues.
My corraline is starting to grow fairly well and I've noticed that if the corraline gets a hold the HA won't grow there.
I just thought of something, I put in a new piece of BR a week or so ago and my HA took off again within the last few days.....hmmmmmmmm Maybe I'm onto something there......

latino277

soooo my theory is holding to be true so far. to get the coraline to grow faster.... take new hard tooth brush and brush the coraline. this will help release the spores and it will spread faster.

ohioreef

Thanks. I may try that. I've noticed that corraline has really picked since I switched to Oceanic salt. I'm guessing the higher Ca content is helping. I'm hoping that the increased lighting will help also. I went from 80W to 220W on my way to 440W!!

clarkiiboi

Sometimes when HA is present (alot) your readings will be off on phosphates...it can read zero when its actually not. I dont know how that factors in with a retractor (or reactor) and chaeto, maybe something to consider.