Petsmart Return/Exchange Policy?

sevenley

Does anyone know if Petsmart has a liberal return/exchange policy on Eclipse aquariums?? My ex purchased a 30 gal. for me for Christmas. It hasn't arrived yet but from everything that I've read hear, they are not very good systems or they are hard to add to or upgrade. I am not sure of what kind I'd like to buy yet but I'd like to return it to Petsmart and add to it to get a system that I'd really like; not one that I'll have to make do.
Thanks, Lee

joker_ca

i used to work there they will let u return anything even if it is from another store and if they say no! just ask for the manager and the secret words to use are "i will never shop here agian"
once they hear that they will start to kiss your as_s
but if you have no reciept they will give u store credit

sevenley

Thanks for the advice Joker_CA. I don't mind getting a different aquarium from them....I just don't want the Eclipse even thought it was a very thoughtful gift.

zelfin

Eclipse I think may be good for FW but not SW. The all in one hood annoyed me when I wanted to go SW. I had to buy a whole new system.

joker_ca

i think it sells for $200 if thats the cost you could get a 50 or 80 gallon dont buy the starter kits they have there or any of the filters

sevenley

Originally posted by joker_ca
i think it sells for $200 if thats the cost you could get a 50 or 80 gallon dont buy the starter kits they have there or any of the filters

Why not? Is it because they really don't specialize in SW tanks? I planned on buying everything separately anyway....except for the actual aquariam and the hood. I figured the cost of the Eclipse and hood would be a pretty good start for a tank that I want. I think I'd rather go with glass even though it is heavier.

joker_ca

petsmart does not specialize in SW everything is geared towards FW but they do have a small SW section but not all stores have it
a eclipse hood is a wetdry filter if your doing areef a wet dry will add nitrate into your system and high levels of nitrate kills corals and causes diatom blooms plus its hard to put a skimmer on the back

lefty

Many people have used the Eclipse systems successfully. They're by no means "top of the line", but they get the job done just fine. :D
-lefty

meadbhb

Hiya,
I have a 37 gallon eclipse system and I love it. I've even got a HOB skimmer. NO problems so far.
Meadbhb

sevenley

I thought it wasn't possible to put a HOB skimmer on it without modifying the hood. I did a search on Eclipse here before and I saw all kinds of negative comments. I'm very new at this....I've had FW tanks before but this is my first go at SW. I have a 10 g. hex with a damsel and 10 blue-leg hermits. And now I want more!!! I just want a 30-50 g. with good equipment for fish with the possibility of soft corals. I know I'll want those too. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to have to try and modify this Eclipse if it won't handle the lights, skimmer, etc. I'd rather return it now and leave myself open for revisions and upgrades by getting a different tank now. Comments? Advice please.
Thanks. Lee

meadbhb

Hiya,
There is an upgrade for the lighting system on the Eclipse. So far, I've kept a leather, mushrooms, polyps and a torch alive and happy in there. It upgrades to a 10K and 65K compact system. Yes, I did have my hood modified to put a skimmer on there. Thankfully my LFS owner was willing to do this for me. I NO GOOD with power tools and leave all that stuff to the hubby and everyone else.
I promised some pictures of my skimmer to someone else. I'll need to get some pictures posted so you can see it. Tanks almost 5 months old now.
Meadbhb

pontius

nitrates are added to systems automatically as waste adds ammonia and then breaks down to nitrites, and then to nitrates. saying that a wet/dry adds any additional amount of nitrates, I believe is not correct.

thedude

Ive been wondering the same thing about the eclipse, im looking for a bigger tank as well..
Sometimes you can save more money in the end by spending more in the beginning. Im sure the eclipse works great but if you already have a tank, your trying to upgrade, and you know you would have to do extensive upgrades and modifications to the eclipse in order to have the type of aquarium you want (light hoods, skimmers, etc) ...then I think your doing the right thing by returning it.
In other words, I think the eclipse makes a great beginner tank, but if youve already had your beginner tank and are looking to upgrade, get something else.

meadbhb

Hiya,
Here's a few pictures of my HOB on my eclipse. Hopefully the pictures will show up.
Just to let you know, this is my first SW tank. I had done FW for over 20 years.
Meadbhb

cowfishrule

what are you looking to do?
my first sw tank was very successful in an eclipse 29, out of the box.
are you looking for a fish tank or for a reef tank?

sprang

I had an eclipse as my first tank. and hated it. The plastic tank scrathes if you breathe on it, the lighting is hard to upgrade and I realized that modifying it was more trouble than it was worth. It's probably just not good for a stater salt tank, since many people advance in the hobby and need to modify. I switched to an all glass bowfront and love it