PH ? and Live Rock Novice

bbrook

I currently have a 55 F/O with a yellow tang, 4 damsels, coral banded shrimp, and 2 scalet hermits. Tests are all 0.0 and PH is running 8.6. I cant seem to get it down. Any suggestions. I'm doing 15% water changes every 3 weeks with R/O water.
Also, I'm considering Live rock. Don't know much about it but it seems like there is a lot to understand before I get it. I'm concerned about my lighting. I currently only have one tube light from my original top. Would I need more or could this do? If I get LR do I need additives? What else do I need to consider?

broomer5

As far as the 8.6 pH goes, I've never actually had a high pH problem to deal with, I'm usually trying to get my pH up. Suggestion ... make sure your RO water is not high to begin with. You may look into getting some DI or distilled water for your water changes. Usually the DI water has a very low pH, and you can condition the water with pH buffers to try and bring it up to around 7.50 or so. Then mix your salt ( what kind of salt mix are you using & what are you using for substrate ? )
Once you get your saltwater mixed well and aerated (sp) test the pH again. The salt mix & buffer should bring it up to around 8.2 - 8.3 and you can do your water change. May have to do this for a few water changes to get the tank to desired pH you are shooting for.
Just a suggestion ... maybe some others on this board can offer another ( or better ) solution.
Good luck !
Broomer

mr . salty

Hey bbrook, Live rock is a "NO BRAINER",so long as you get good stuff. With stock lighting you'll get some die off. I would reccomend at least up grading the bulb. I've got two CORALIFE 20,000K fluorescent bulbs in my 40gal with 20lbs LR.The rock is doing great. You shouldn't have to use additives. But if you do get "die off" you'll have to watch ammo_Once the rock is settled down it will help your water clarity greatly.Plus yhe added bonus of organisms,and other stowaways. I've gotten two fish in mine,a Barr gobie and a yellow dottyback. I LOVE THE STUFF. As far as how much? You can add 5or6 lbs a week untill you and your fish are happy. I think you could easily have thirty lbs. STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 06-24-2000).]