PH drop...what to do

bosox

Hey,
Igot one of those electronic PH testers and found my PH was too low...I added PH up and it went up to 8.25 but keeps dropping and is close to dropping below 8.0. What can I do to get the PH right.
NIA

nm reef

Plus PH will fluctuate during the day...normally lower at night and early in the day....gradually increasing during the day. Mine normally ranges from 8.0 early in the AM to about 8.2 in mid afternoon.:thinking:

beaslbob

From my experience and what has been posted on this board, ph drops are kicked off by carbon dioxide. One of the many beneficial aspects of plant life is that it consumes carbon dioxide. therefore raises ph or at least prevents drops. So my analysis is that the ph was a symptom of the excess carbon dioxide. When I added plant life (macros) to my 55g ph rose and stayed at 8.4. And the fish stopped breathing heavy, had live food (the plants), and lived.

jauringer

waterfaller, last night I extended my air intake on my skimmer outside. I think I remember you doing this before. How long did it take before you noticed a difference? Did you see any loss of performance in your skimmer?

broomer5

While it certainly is true that carbon dioxide changes to carbonic acid in the tank - with our without plant life - the natural tendency in our tanks is for the pH to drop over time.
Carbonic acid coversion from CO2 and natural organic acids that are produced from fish wastes and foods both lead to swings/drops in pH.
The best protection for pH control is maintaining sufficient alkalinity. Alkalinity ( bicarbonate/carbonate along with other compounds ) buffers the tankwater - and helps to maintain pH.
Calcium-Alkalinity-Magnesium and pH are all related to each other - in the fact that they all contribute to more stable tankwater chemistry.
Things you can try ...
Increase tankwater circulation
Open window as waterfaller1 suggested.
Add a refugium with macroalgae and light it 24/7
Add a protein skimmer
Run activated carbon
Do regular partial water changes
Measure and write down your calcium/alkalinity/pH values often.
Begin a buffer/calcium dosing routine according to the tankwater needs ( from your testing you'll know this ).
Drip kalkwasser at night.
Reduce fish loads
THese things all can help to maintain pH in many systems.