pH measurement

grouper 42

I have tried two kits. The Hagen and the fasTest. For the life of me I just can't seem to be able to read their color changes and make any sense out of them. And I'm not color blind. What is the best way to measure your pH?

sonny

The FasTest kit has been the one I've used for years, but if you have problems reading it, try another. Salifert and LaMotte are excellent kits, and the Red Sea kits are good too, and includes the alkalinity test in the ph kit. If you really want to be accurate, invest in a ph meter. If you have a reef, you will really be glad you have it. You can get a good one for about $89. If you decide to get one, I recommend the type that operates all the time. The "Pen" type is more trouble. I have one, and I never trust it since you have to calibrate it every time you use it.
Sonny

I couldn't agree more with Sonny. The absolute BEST investment I ever made in my reef, and the one piece of equipment I could not live without, is my Pinpoint ph monitor.
If you add up all the money you spend on test kits, then add in your time and aggravation of mixing, testing, checking the color in every light possible, and after that still not being sure of the accuracy...... :rolleyes:
If I had to give up the monitor, I think I'd give up reefing! :eek:
Now, I know instantly what my ph is at all times. (I have the a/c adapter. Be sure to get this as well. Those batteries are a PIA.) I want my life (and hobby) as simple as possible. If you are serious about this hobby, I believe an accurate measure of ph is an absolute MUST.
Just my .02
Hermit