PH problem continued (bang)

sandman12

I just etsed my PH and it was at 7.5! How do i get it up safely? Also my KH was at 7.5 dKH, is that ok? I will test the PH again tonight if u want me to bang.
Thanks
James

bang guy

What's your Salinity and what's your Calcium level? If your Calcium is very high (over 500ppm) then that could be the problem. If your Slinity is low (below 35ppt) then there's another potential problem.
IMO your low PH is either due to inadequate circulation (excess CO2) or more likely you have an accumulation of detritus somewhere and it is rotting (A dirty filter, dead snail, etc.).
I am interested in your evening reading.

sandman12

Well its one of those test kits where u base ur reading on the colored scale. Iam not very good at those so iam starting to think that maybe the PH is ok. My calcium was at 480. I have a big serpent star so i doubt there is anything dead in my tank longer than 2 days. I dont measure salinity in ppt's but it is 1.019! need to bring that up.

reefer44

hmmm with a dkh of 7.5 and that calcium you should be alright with your pH??????????some ppl run theres that low....(well not quite that low but below 8.00) also do you run a calc reactor?????

sandman12

No calc. reactor. Just got back from LFS. He uses a dip stick test and said my PH was 8.0-8.2 , I think i just suck at estimating.

reefer44

yea those are hard to read....i am glad i have a pH meter and don't have to deal with one of those test kits...
Brad

squidd

I'm going to second the pH monitor over "test kit's" in the same way "refractometers" beat out hydometer's every time...
I've been "happy" with the results of my test kits results up to this point...Why not, it always read 8.2 to 8.3...
But since ading a Kalk reactor I thought it "wise" to go electronic and get a "continous" reading...
After "calibrating" the monitor and testing tank I found I was running in the 8.0 to 8.1 range rather than the 8.2-8.3 I "thought" I had...Did tests side by side with "kit" and monitor..recalibrated monitor and triple checked against a friends monitor readings...
Now I feel much more confident to "push" the levels in Cal and alk and Kalk, being able to monitor continously...