pH problem in hypo tank

muggiwhplar

I'm setting up a hypo tank, and I'm having trouble getting the pH up. It's at about 7.4 (maybe lower--that's the bottom end of the scale on my test kit) and I did the math to figure out how much kalk I need to get it up to 8.4, then added it. However, I'm not seeing any change. I can't imagine the pH was too far below 7.4, as the alk is at about 110 ppm and I have an airstone in there for oxygenation. So, does the bicarbonate buffer work differently at low SG, keeping the pH lower--or did I go wrong somewhere in my math?

earlybird

To keep pH up in Hypo conditions you should use a buffer to keep it around 7.8. Seachem reef buffer is a good product. You should have a bucket of RO water mixing with a powerhead and you can buffer this water so that it raises your tank when you top off. You should also have a bucket of salt water mixing in the event of a spike which can easily happen in a small QT.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by earlybird
To keep pH up in Hypo conditions you should use a buffer to keep it around 7.8. Seachem reef buffer is a good product. You should have a bucket of RO water mixing with a powerhead and you can buffer this water so that it raises your tank when you top off. You should also have a bucket of salt water mixing in the event of a spike which can easily happen in a small QT.
Sound advice