pH, salinity monitors

alex1010

Hello:
I Thank You! in advance for any reply. I am new to salt water aquaria. Just finished setting up my 150 gal fish only tank at home and was wondering if any of you have any experience with the digital monitors to measure pH and salinity? If so do you recommend any particular type? how acurate are these new things?
I thank you Again!!
Alex

smalltimer

I have a milwalki ph controller on my calcium reactor and it is very accurate, as long as you calibrate it correctly. I have had the pinpoint ph monitors also, have to use 2 calibration liquids on them but very reliable, just never let the test probe get dry or you'll have to replace it and it is over half the cost of the entire unit. You can get a milwalki ph controller for the price of the pinpoint ph monitor, but if you don't need to switch anything on or off as in carbon dioxide, then a monitor is all you need. As far as salinity, get a 10$ flote type and see if any of the lfs will calibrate it against a refractomator....the only true way to read specific gravity, you can get one for 100 same as ditigal monitor and WILL be accurate...
:cool:

spankr

I have the PinPoint PH monitor. It works great and is easy to calibrate. I calibrate it every month or two.

brooklyn johnny

I have the pinpoint and highly recommend it. Expensive at first but pays for itslef in convenience. Remember to calibrate often (easy and takes about a minute).