PH tester calibration

jhead

Anyone know of a household item the test at 7.0 on the PH meter. My meter is giving me fits and I want to recalibrate it, and I don't know of a place to get a calibration fluid without spending more than I want for shipping such a small item.
Or does any one in the Dallas area have a source?
I have a Milwaukee PH44 tester and was also wonder what the CFM button is for.
Thanks.

surfnturf

The only way I can think of is if you have an RO/DI unit. If the water from the unit has not contacted air, you might have a chance of getting a pH of 7.0 (pure water), the problem is that the water will quickly absorb CO2 from the air and form carbonic acid driving the pH into the 5's. You can use a simple pH test kit to determine whether this has ocurred. If the water tests acid, put it in a pyrex container and cover it with plastic wrap and boil it in the microwave for a few minutes, this will drive off the CO2 enough that you should be able to get a neutral reading.

gregzbobo

I don't livei n the dallas area myself, but a city that big SHOULD have several good shops and one or two of those ought to have the test solutions. You might try a photo developing supply store too (wild guess though).

surfnturf

Try these
Saltwater Solutions
14015 North Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX 75234
(972) 406-0470
Windows To The Sea
3101 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, TX 75204
(214) 969-7387
Try the Yellow Pages, like, let your fingers do the walking, er something.