ph

geridoc

Something not good is going on in your tank. The elevated nitrites (they should be zero) says that perhaps something has died in there. However that usually results in decreasing pH. How reliable is the kit? Anyway, time for a water change.

hatessushi

You definately have an issue going on. Natural pH of seawater runs from 7.5 in the open ocean to 8.4 in reef areas with the average being 7.8, according to the book "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner. pH should be kept high at around 7.8 to 8.4
Most aquarists keep their pH at 8.1 to 8.4. I keep mine around 7.82 to 7.94 mainly because I don't want to buffer it and throw the akalinity into a tizzy. The most important thing is that it be kept as stable as possible. It should not change more then .2 in a 24 hour period. A pH of 8.8 is way to to alkaline. I can't tell you how to lower it (make it more acidic) as I spend all the pH time trying to raise it in my tank.
If you find out why your pH is so high I would really like to know because it might give me some insight into raising mine other then the typical ways of doing it. Sorry I can't help with lowering it.

tjgreg

My Ph is in the 8.6 range as well except my nitrite level is 0.0 and my amonia level is 0.0 as well, my tank has been going for 2 months now.

aztec reef

hi tjgreg, you're not using any buffers/additives are you? how's your calcum and alk. how long are your lights on for?

ken w. good

I was researching a similar problem recently and I found a theory that said if your alkalinity was fine, the most likely cause of high Ph was poor airation of the water. Just a thought.
Ken

tjgreg

Not sure on the calcium and alkalinity but will pick up a test kit tomorrow for that but my lights are set for 12 hours, I did test the water yesterday before the lights came on and it was 8.4.