Phoenix AZ LFS's

wiluven

For you Phoenix people (Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler/etc) - What LFS do you go to out here? I been to Oceans Floor but not sure of any others. Is this place okay or are there some better shops? I'm new to the hobby so I'd love to give a local store some business as well as pick their brains (and them happy to answer any and all dumb questions)

dkw27

Originally Posted by Wiluven
For you Phoenix people (Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler/etc) - What LFS do you go to out here? I been to Oceans Floor but not sure of any others. Is this place okay or are there some better shops? I'm new to the hobby so I'd love to give a local store some business as well as pick their brains (and them happy to answer any and all dumb questions)
My favorite is Aquarium Arts in Mesa...The are located on Baseline in between Alma School and Dobson....They have great prices and selection on fish and coral....You can get better prices online for dry goods, but the staff is very helpful and won't steer you in the wrong direction, just to make a sale....I personally didn't care for Ocean Floor, felt they were too pushy... Hope this helps....

wiluven

Awesome, I'll check out Aquatouch :)
I went to About the Reef and I liked the store - seems pretty expensive for the aquarium setups and gear though. Can definately see myself buying some live stuff there though.

outatime97

About The Reef uses hypo and copper on the fish, but with careful acclimation I have had good results. Aquatouch on the other hand, actually quarantines their livestock before they bring them out for sale. Always got quality fish from there. Good Luck and welcome!

dkw27

Good to know - I will check it out. Is it a bigger store or more of a small family owned one?
It's a decent sized store, great selection on aquariums and livestock...I bought my 125 gallon reef setup from them and it's awesome....Their prices were better than The Ocean Floor and better quality for the price....Go check them out!

dkw27

I went to Aqua Touch this past Monday (way too far from home for me) but wanted to see their place...Pretty small, prices were higher than Aquarium Arts, but still nice to check out and see what's out there...I still like Aquarium Arts the best so far....

wiluven

dkw,
Would you mind listing your equipment? Anything you wish you did different as far as your equipment goes? Maybe different brands, different sizes to fit your tank, etc. How much did your tank cost you if you don't mind me asking?
From your brief description, I want to do the same thing. Same tank size/reef (eventually reef, fowlr to start)

Martin tropical fish on NE conner of elliot and val vista. Its a family own but they just got done saling off there all their fw fish to just go all straight sw fish. So they are in the middle of remolding. They can order anything you want if they dont have it. They'll get it in all the time on the next shippment if their stock places have it on hand if not, it takes 2 weeks. Never had a problem with them and they know their stuff very well.

P.S Prices are very fair or little cheaper.

Originally Posted by dkw27
It's a decent sized store, great selection on aquariums and livestock...I bought my 125 gallon reef setup from them and it's awesome....Their prices were better than The Ocean Floor and better quality for the price....Go check them out!

Ocean floor has the highest prices for equipment and they have very little knowledge of saltwater. BUt they are good at freshwater. There replacement lights where $80 each (need two) for 36" PC 96watts. Went to my place and got them for $95 for both. I have had to many fish die after getting them. Never had a fish die on me from Aquatouch or Martin tropical fish. Only two places i would go to in town.

wiluven

Ya I plan on turning most of my business online but I'm having problems on deciding where to get a tank that's 120ish gallons at a LFS. The price wasn't horrible at Oceans Floor but was pretty high - About The Reef was quite a bit higher than them.
Much appreciated so far on the advice given by the way! Looking forward to checking out the other stores that have been mentioned.

dkw27

dkw,
Would you mind listing your equipment? Anything you wish you did different as far as your equipment goes? Maybe different brands, different sizes to fit your tank, etc. How much did your tank cost you if you don't mind me asking?
From your brief description, I want to do the same thing. Same tank size/reef (eventually reef, fowlr to start)
I just sent you a PM in regards to this question....