Phosban Reactor

euphoria

Have you guys used Phosban reactors to remove phosphates? I just bought one and wanted some feedback as to how you like it and if it works well.
Thanks

mpls man

I was just looking at buying 1 for my 75 soon to be a 110, i foung a good sale on them , cant tell the name of the site because of rules, e-mail me and i can tell you...hummer1011@netzero.com, from what i've read they do take care of phosphates, but not sure of people who have them in reef tanks, the 1 i'm looking at is about $31.00, w/o the pump.

euphoria

Originally Posted by MPLS MAN
I was just looking at buying 1 for my 75 soon to be a 110, i foung a good sale on them , cant tell the name of the site because of rules, e-mail me and i can tell you...hummer1011@netzero.com, from what i've read they do take care of phosphates, but not sure of people who have them in reef tanks, the 1 i'm looking at is about $31.00, w/o the pump.

I bought mine for $50 and it's for a 150gallon. Hope it works.
Good luck

mpls man

do you have high phosphates?
i'm thinking on buying 1 tonight or this week, let me know how it works?
i'm looking at the same 1, didn't realyze you already had 1, sorry.

euphoria

PO4 is about 0.5ppm. I think that's high, although not terrible.
I"ll let you know how it works out. I'll set it up tomorrow

mpls man

that would be kool, i just ordered 1 last night, what kind of pump are you running it with?
thanks.

mpls man

Originally Posted by EUPHORIA
PO4 is about 0.5ppm. I think that's high, although not terrible.
I"ll let you know how it works out. I'll set it up tomorrow

EUPHORIA...with your phosban reactor running ,is the media in the chamber turning a lot or very little, i have mine running now with a slow flow running through the chamber...just curious.

bob a.

I have the two little fishies reactor. Initially I had the media running between two sections of filter floss and it had a gap when running where the bottom of the upper layer did tumble. Problem was the flow out was terrible. I replaced the media after about 4 months and this time put it in a fine mesh bag and put that into the reactor. Flow is much better. I havent taken a phosphate reading in awhile, but I can tell you that the cheato is not growing nearly as fast as it once did nor is there as much algea growing in the tank itself. We always had problems with high levels of phosphates and this puppy does seem to do the trick. The FOWLR tank that has been running for about 2 months now, has a sump and the cheato is much more dense but that tank has no phosphate remover running. All it all, I think these are good systems to have for long term use.

lepete

My flow is powered by a Maxijet 400.
My problem was that the maxi was picking up micro bubbles from the sump. I have a crappy DIM - do it myself- sump. Anyways, these micro bubble would gang up into a giga bubble and unwedge the lower styrofoam. Red dust everywhere in the sump and DT - kinda like Mars... really cool. Now, I tied the foam down with some fish line.
But the damage is done. I think that's why I am having red hairy algae... from the ferrous oxide.

wax32

I have one, and it reduced my detectable phosphates to ZERO. But, I am still having problems with cyanobacteria...

wax32

Bob A. :
Once you put the phosban in a bag in the reactor, did you turn up your valve to full flow so as not to wear out the pump?

mudplayerx

Curious. How do you get phosphates if you use ro/di, have a skimmer, live rock, live sand, and good flow? Where does it come from? I've been lucky to have never had detectable phosphates in the year+ I have been in the hobby. Would appreciate info on how they enter the system so I can continue to avoid them. Thanks

euphoria

Originally Posted by MPLS MAN
EUPHORIA...with your phosban reactor running ,is the media in the chamber turning a lot or very little, i have mine running now with a slow flow running through the chamber...just curious.
I have mine hooked up to a maxijet powerhead and it's doing about 75gph (recommended is between 60 and 80 i believe). The media is slowly tumbling around at the bottom part of the chamber. At first there were lots of particles coming out of the hose and I had to keep pulling it out of the sump w/ my turkey baster. Slowly the particles started to get lower in the chamber and now only half of the chamber has particles just slowly tumbling around.

euphoria

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Curious. How do you get phosphates if you use ro/di, have a skimmer, live rock, live sand, and good flow? Where does it come from? I've been lucky to have never had detectable phosphates in the year+ I have been in the hobby. Would appreciate info on how they enter the system so I can continue to avoid them. Thanks
comes from the food you throw into the tank.

euphoria

By the way, what kind of media are you guys running. I used this Pura Phoslock media and so far it hasn't done anything to remove phosphates. I've given up on the reactor and started a fuge setup w/ cheato. If the cheato starts to work well, I think I'll just disconnect the phosban and get rid of it.
I'm still curious though, what kind of media you guys use.

bob a.

Originally Posted by wax32
Bob A. :
Once you put the phosban in a bag in the reactor, did you turn up your valve to full flow so as not to wear out the pump?

I rinsed out the phosban in the bag so there wasnt any fine particulate matter and opened the valve slowly to full. Been running fine so far.

mpls man

Originally Posted by EUPHORIA
By the way, what kind of media are you guys running. I used this Pura Phoslock media and so far it hasn't done anything to remove phosphates. I've given up on the reactor and started a fuge setup w/ cheato. If the cheato starts to work well, I think I'll just disconnect the phosban and get rid of it.
I'm still curious though, what kind of media you guys use.
I have the 2 little fishes reactor as well, i'm curious if you put the media loose into the reactor or in a bag, i was told to have it loose, so thats how i run mine.
as far as the type of media i have ...
it's called Phosban, made by 2 little fishies as well, 150g, comes in a small plastic container.
I also have had a fuge setup for about 2 yrs now, but i've noticed lately the hair alge growing more in the tank, thats why i went with the reactor.

euphoria

I don't have mine in a bag. It's just floating freely. I want to try using the Phosban media and see how that does, but I definitely will have my fuge running as well.

cowfishrule

im glad this i found this thread because i've been thinking about picking up one of these.
wondering if i could work this in-line with my cannister filter
hmmmmmmm
pondering.
any ideas? its a fluval 304