Phosban...

seannmelly

I would like to know the good, the bad, and the ugly about this product. I recently purchased it, and there is little to not much direction wise on how to use this product. I know it's suppose to be used to remove phosphates...duh lol. But should I put it on the intake of my return pump, or put it on top of my pre filter pad?? And I would also like to know what your guys' sucess rate is with this product. Pretty much, the more feedback you guys have to offer the better good, bad, and ugly! Thanks in advance!
Melly

reefreak29

i use it once a month , i put it in a filter bag in front of my return pump in the sump , make sure u rinse it well before puting it into your sump, dont use for more then 2 days

zman1

You need a slow flow I have mine in a reactor tube with Mag 1 driving it. Slow enough you don't see particles rolling around. There is a warning about rinsing and too high of a flow causing it to breakdown. It's supposed to be bad for respiratory of fish if it dissolves/breaksdown. I am doing as a prophylactic measure. I have never measured PO4 lvls other than zero even before I started using it. However, I have also read that the test kits aren't full spectrum for organic and inorganic lvl. I was trying to remove another thing that may have been feeding an Algae bloom.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by zman1
You need a slow flow I have mine in a reactor tube with Mag 1 driving it. Slow enough you don't see particles rolling around. There is a warning about rinsing and too high of a flow causing it to breakdown. It's supposed to be bad for respiratory of fish if it dissolves/breaksdown. I am doing as a prophylactic measure. I have never measured PO4 lvls other than zero even before I started using it. However, I have also read that the test kits aren't full spectrum for organic and inorganic lvl. I was trying to remove another thing that may have been feeding an Algae bloom.
So I can use it where I have my pre filter pad?? The water overflows from the first chamber of my sump onto the prefilter pad then down into the 2nd chamber, and then flows to the third part of my sump where my return pump, and uv sterilyzer pump is. Would this be ok?? Or should I wrap it in prefilter as it seems to suggest and then put it ontop of my return pump?? I mean the directions are not clear whatsover, and I paid $14 for this stuff wholesale!! So I want to get my freaking moneys worth lol!!! Any other suggestions and/or help appreciated! thanks again for those who have posted thus far
Melly

zman1

If it's a main filter you're talking about, I'd skip putting it in there. Whatever area of your sump that has the least flow would be fine. I'd use the bag that it came with and use a plastic wire tie. I used the bags (I replaced it once) that came with mine for carbon and just used the string tie once. One of them came open on me. I guess I'm not good at knots, the wire ties make it simple.

zman1

NVM - I had it stuck in my mind your prefilter pad was part of a separate filter. That would probably work. Were ever the slowest area of flow is in your sump. You will know were that is better than I on your sump. My pre-filter on my sump is actually one of the more violent areas, but it's a non traditional sump.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by zman1
If it's a main filter you're talking about, I'd skip putting it in there. Whatever area of your sump that has the least flow would be fine. I'd use the bag that it came with and use a plastic wire tie. I used the bags (I replaced it once) that came with mine for carbon and just used the string tie once. One of them came open on me. I guess I'm not good at knots, the wire ties make it simple.
I used the zip tie they added in the package, and tied on knot w/ the string they have that close the top. So I am thinking that its ok to put it where my prefilter pad is, because it's just water from the intake overflow onto it, which isn't high flow at all. Or I could put it in front of my water polishing block? thanks again

hatessushi

I put mine is a Phosphate reactor. that's what it is made for and works great. A reactor will cost about $35.

who dey

it's the best thing thats happened to: overfeeders, tap water peeps, overlighters, overbioloaders, nonskimmers, and lazy peeps! just place it in ur sump around the intake on ur return pump and pull water through it. Run it constantly changing it once a month and u'll be amazed!!

E

essop3

I was having a problem with my R/O unit and phosphates went up. I used Phosban and it nearly killed my tank. A huge Xenia colony melted several leathers were swollen and wouldn't open. The whole tank seemed to go to crap. I removed the Phosban the next morning and did alot of water changes. It eventually got better. This is the only bad story I know of about the stuff though. I think the Xenia was feeding off the phosphates and when they were quickly stripped they Xenia melted and released all kinds of nasty stuff into the water.
I'd try to find your source of phospates too. Phosban is only going to be a quick fix that will need to be repeated if you don't.

seannmelly

Thanks for the input. I've tested my tanks for phosphates, and it reads 0 but I know there's gotta be something in there. I don't use RO, I feed frozen food. I've also cut my lights way back to around 6 hours a day. I bought this, and am just curious w/ everyone's results.

biohazard

I use it in a reactor. I never have any phosphate readings in my tank. But I run it on a trickle constently just in case, because I used to have a huge problem. Right now my tank is covered and I mean covered in cyano bacteria, and I dont know why.

S

suv

What if I dont have a sump could I put it in like say some womens nylons and just dangle it in my DT by my power head?

S

suv

Thats what i kind figgured. Thats what I have now, do I just put it in somthing like I said earlier and put it in place of my bio bale?