Phosphate sponge

tlk

I am starting to develop little patches of green algea in the tank. I am fairly certain this is due to high phosphates in the water. Started tank with tap water but now only do top-offs with ro/di. I introduced a phosphate sponge the other day assuming that this is the cause of the algea (very small clean up crew btw). Assuming that the phosphate sponge is the answer, will the existing algea just go away on its own, or will I need to scrub the lr with a soft toothbrush or wait for the tang to get hungry??
thanks

beaslbob

Green algae is plant life. Whenever you have ammonia,nitrite, or nitrate, plus carbon dioxide and light you will get plant life. the brown/red algaes require more phosphates and tend to bloom and then die off as phosphates are consumed.
It actually is a very good sign you are getting green and not brown algaes. The most effective way to reduce "ugly" algaes is by adding interesting algaes such as macro or marine plants. they will compete with the "uglies" for the nitrAtes and therefore reduce them. Plant life has numerous benificial effects to tanks. Filtering all kinds of stuff, absorbing carbon dioxide, and even removing some really nasty stuff. With active plant life a tank becomes balanced and stable.

reefnut

If your phophates are high it will take a while for the sponge to remove it. I have taking a toothbrush to hair algae before... Better to keep it from taking hold IMO.

nacl-man

Algae Algae Algae. I HATE algae.
Sorry. :eek:
After 6 months I have finally overcome my algae problem using a combination of weekly water changes and Kent Phos. Sponge in my Fluval. So to answer your question... yes it will work, but it will take time.
Still having sand-bed difficulties though.. haven't been able to find a conch yet :rolleyes: the LFS around here stink.
Cheers!