Phosphate test ????'s

meowzer

OK...I have an api phosphate test kit, and just received my salifert one (YAY)
The api was giving me a reading of 1...and states it reads in ppm
the salifert gives me a reading of .25 the kit also says it tests in ppm phosphate
according to the salifert test .25 is really bad.......BUT a test of 1 with api wasn't

I just changed out the gfo in my phosphate reactor...
Can someone please tell me if I should be worried with a reading of .25 on the salifert test

2quills

Sounds a little high. I read a couple of different sources that says acceptible range for phosphates in a reef tank is between 0.05ppm - 0.1ppm
But a single feeding in some instances can cause an increase of 0.4ppm? Seems like a pretty big swing. I'd test your RO water and see what that is, then test the tank water before you feed...and maybe test it about an hour after feeding just to see what the differences are out of curriosity.

meowzer

I have tested the ro...it's 0
What type of test kit do you use? I'm just confused that the api says 1...and that;s ok......and the salifert says .25 and that's not

2quills

Well I've always used Tetra test kits for my freshwater systems just because that's what my LFS sells. Since I got my SW tank this spring I've just been using the API kits. They seem to do ok for the basics but right now I'm still doing fish only. But in my opinion the API ph test is garbage. I've got my my main tank all broke down right now and fish in temporary 55G because I am going to rebuild everything from ground up with nice equipment in order to do reef. Once I get the new system done I will be going with nothing but Salifert from then on.
I'd put more of my trust in the Salifert test if nothing more than the fact that the majority of experienced keepers say they are the test kits of choice.
1ppm may be OK by some standards, but we're not looking for OK, we want GREAT!

meowzer

LOL....Well the salifert test said .25

with all my new EXPENSIVE equip......I can not imagine how the phosphates could be bad

IDK what else to do....Like I said....I changed my gfo in the reactor today....what else?????

posiden

The issue with API is it doesn't go any lower then 1. IMO, you need to get the level down a bit more. I use the Elos test for my phosphates. I haven't used the sailfert test yet.
Do you still have algae in your tank?

meowzer

The API card starts at 0...then 0.25....0.5...1.0...2....5....10
Before my reactor it read 10
after a good w/c, added gfo, and changed my chemipure elite it went down to 1....never lower. I bought the salifert test..and it reads .25

I have not tested yet this morning....I will soon
AND I have almost no algae.....once in a while I'll see a speck...but then it's gone

nikesb

theres alot of complaints about the salifert phosphate test, but your phosphates should be .03-.07 if you want your sps to really color up well. now if you really wanna check the phosphates you should invest in a hanna photo meter for phosphates but its a bit on the expensive side

meowzer

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3290806
theres alot of complaints about the salifert phosphate test, but your phosphates should be .03-.07 if you want your sps to really color up well. now if you really wanna check the phosphates you should invest in a hanna photo meter for phosphates but its a bit on the expensive side
Tell me you are kidding...LOL....I have been trying to upgrade my test kits, and now you tell me this
LOL
Soooooooooo...I tested this morning with both....api is 1 salifert .25
funny thing though.....my sps is beginning to color up
....I posted some pics in my 225G update thread, and the acropora tips are beginning to "pink" up.....the monti is growing and seeing more green...and the elkhorn is really nice looking
I just don't get it :( maybe I need to throw the test kits in the trash LOL

J

jstdv8

doesnt anything over .3 retard your corals? If it was truely 1.0 you would think the corals would be wildley unhappy

nikesb

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3290873
Just noticed SWF carries Hanna stuff, including the Phosphate Meter for $49.99
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/Hanna-I...6.html#tablist
A little more then usual, but you'd be buying from SWF instead of some e-bay swindler...
Not as
accurate as the $200 photo meter, but still very good.
the problem with the 50$ meter is that it has a (if i remember correctly) +/- .1 in accuracy. thats the only reason i havent jumped on it just yet.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3290876
doesnt anything over .3 retard your corals? If it was truely 1.0 you would think the corals would be wildley unhappy
...and mine seem to be happier then usual...so you tell me LOL

u mike

when I wanted a real phos # I took it to the lfs only charged 5 bucks but since I am in there a lot they only charged 3. is there anywhere to go around where you live.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3290891
the problem with the 50$ meter is that it has a (if i remember correctly) +/- .1 in accuracy. thats the only reason i havent jumped on it just yet.
From what I just read over on R/C, it seems like they are closer then that. The problem once you start getting into the really low end spectrum of PO4 testing, the percentage error grows, but that's for really any type of tester. They seems accurate down to around .07, but it still will able to tell the difference between say .03 and .06. Once you have phosphate that low, that's basically all you really is a rough estimate. From the reviews from people that actually bought them, really like them.

nikesb

for the price it isnt bad, but i will be waiting for a future version as they are tweeking the product