Phosphate

frankthetank

What causes phosphates to be present?
I've always had a .2 reading for as long as my tank has been going. I feed frozen mysis shrimp, I use RO water, Tropic Marin salt, weekly 10% water changes like it's my life depended on it, and phosguard and I still get .2 reading.
I just added a 2nd bag of phosguard in my filter to attempt to get a 0 reading.
Any thoughts on what causes this .2 constant reading?

drew2005

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
What causes phosphates to be present?
I've always had a .2 reading for as long as my tank has been going. I feed frozen mysis shrimp, I use RO water, Tropic Marin salt, weekly 10% water changes like it's my life depended on it, and phosguard and I still get .2 reading.
I just added a 2nd bag of phosguard in my filter to attempt to get a 0 reading.
Any thoughts on what causes this .2 constant reading?
How often do you feed and how much do you feed? Where do you get your RO water from? Most phosphate is caused by overfeeding and water issues. I had a phosphate problem until i started feeding every 2-3 days.

joojoo

Phosphates enter an aquarium by tap water, fish food, fish waste, dosing supplements, and probably many more sources.

frankthetank

Well, I have started feeding every other day now. Like I said, I feed frozen mysis that are in a cube. I cut the cube in half and feed half the cube.
I get my RO water from a water machine at the grocery store.
I never use tap water. I'm really hoping to get this to zero!

drew2005

Well, I have started feeding every other day now. Like I said, I feed frozen mysis that are in a cube. I cut the cube in half and feed half the cube.
I get my RO water from a water machine at the grocery store.
I never use tap water. I'm really hoping to get this to zero!
Have you tested the RO your getting for phos? The filters in the machine may need to be changed.

cgrant

not sure exactly what is causing your phos but just as a heads up...the local grocery stores in my area all had like 3-5 tds when i tested them back before i got my rodi unit.
If you dont have one already get a tds meter and see what the water is from store.

frankthetank

Good point... no I have not. But I'll do this right now, as I have some top off water left. The serviced date is usually within 7 days on the machine though. I'll be back with some results.

frankthetank

Originally Posted by CGRANT
not sure exactly what is causing your phos but just as a heads up...the local grocery stores in my area all had like 3-5 tds when i tested them back before i got my rodi unit.
If you dont have one already get a tds meter and see what the water is from store.
A td wha?

drew2005

A td wha?
TDS meter. It measures total dissolved solids in the water.

drew2005

can I test phosphates in plain ro water, without salt? or does it have to be saltwater?
you can test it without salt. i believe salt mixes are dont contain phosphate.

frankthetank

Yep, the RO water is phosphate free.
So it's coming from somwhere's else.
Let's see, I run carbon about 3-5 days per month. That's pretty much it, feed every other day and I can't think of anything else that would enter the tank. Is it the feeding?

drew2005

Yep, the RO water is phosphate free.
So it's coming from somwhere's else.
Let's see, I run carbon about 3-5 days per month. That's pretty much it, feed every other day and I can't think of anything else that would enter the tank. Is it the feeding?
Could be the feeding. Cut back and test again after your next water change. See if that helps lower it.

buhda_72

Buy another tester is the first thing I would do a goodbrand and then you have 2 tests to go by they do go bad I would always have 2 of all of them.

reefreak29

Phosphates are one of the primary contributors to the growth of algae in an aquarium. The presence of the materialized form of any type of phosphate is known as ortho-phosphates. Ortho-phosphates are created by the breakdown of simple and complex organic phosphates and are major contributors to the growth of algae. High levels of phosphates not only lead to algae blooms, but have even been thought to have a much greater impact on algae growth than nitrates. Although phosphates generally aren’t considered detrimental to the health of your fish in low amounts, excess phosphates above 4mg/l is indeed toxic to fish
Sources of Phosphates
Phosphates are introduced into your aquarium in many ways, even your tap water may contain phosphates. Other sources of phosphate include, but are not limited to, pH and KH buffers, carbon, fish food (and overfeeding) and even salt. Phosphates can even be generated within your aquarium through a heavy fish load, dead plant matter, undigested fish food in waste and even the dieing off of algae.
What To Do
In order to get a handle on phosphates, sources of phosphates need to be identified and eliminated (or reduced) and phosphates that are already present in your aquarium need to be removed.
Examine everything from fish food to salts and make sure that they contain little or no phosphates. If a product does contain phosphates, try to find a phosphate-free alternative. Make sure you are not over-feeding your fish or feeding them an inappropriate diet. Uneaten or undigested food is a source of phosphates.
Phosphates can be removed from your aquarium through good maintenance. Provided your tap water doesn’t have extremely high levels of phosphates, frequent water changes are your best bet to reducing phosphates. Unless you have strong currents that keep debris from settling on your substrate, you’ll need to vacuum thoroughly to remove any waste and uneaten food. Frequent water changes should not only keep phosphate levels down, but your fish will also appreciate the clean water.
Another method of eliminating phosphates is through the use of phosphate-absorbing products. These are made by various aquarium product manufactures and can be added to your filter. Most of these require good water flow. When using them, make sure you read and follow all directions. Since some of these products generate a lot of heat when initially placed in water, make sure you wet them before adding them to your filter.

wyvern

Go to the New Hobbyists board and go to "A list of extremely helpful threads...". look under phosphates. It's kinda long, but worth it. Look to see if the carbon you are using is phosphate free.