photo to critique new system

fixed

55 gallon system for clowns, tang, butterfly, triggers (maybe won't keep) (lion is gone); scaping ok -- too much, wrong stuff? 30 pounds live rock, a bunch of dead coral, etc. XP2 and BakPak filter and skimmer. Any critique or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Or, here's the link: http://www.midcalracing.com/aquarium2.jpg

adhall

I'm curious, how long do those dead corals stay so white? Did you bleach them just prior to taking this picture?

blemmy_guy

I had some dead coral in mine and it slowly turned green and ugly, which was sad, cause it looked so good all white like yours. Great lookin tank, i also Love your stand, very nice!
Todd

mudplayerx

Looks good to me. However, in the long run you have too many fish in your tank. That yellow tang will eventually need the 55 all to himself.
Also, like Blemmy said, the dead coral is going to get pretty dirty-looking over time. Make sure you get a cleaning crew to help keep it white.

J

jdragunas

i agree. most of those fish will need a 75+ tank in a year or so... Other than that, it looks great! IMO, however, i'd have more LR, and less white. It looks great and all, but it draws your eyes to the dead coral first, rather than the fish.

carshark

oh coralline does grow on them, it just takes a while of course, so in the process youll have nasty looking dead corals, and no coralline. trust me i had a few large pieces in there, and after about 2 weeks they would look crappy again.. so id take them out and clean them, bleach them and wash them in saltwater, too much of a pain to go through. so realize that when you take it out to clean it off, the coralline, if any comes with it!! I have about 115lbs of LR in my tank now, no room for anything else in my 75

J

jdragunas

coraline will grow on the dead coral, if LR with coraline on it is touching the dead coral...

carshark

i meant to add though i really like your tank.. its looks fantastic.. with the cost of those dead corals though you could have had some super nice LR, but i understand the look you were going for, i recommend cleaning them once a week in bleach when you do water changes.....or as needed...and please please make sure you get them rinsed completely before putting it back in your tank :scared:

carshark

Originally Posted by jdragunas
coraline will grow on the dead coral, if LR with coraline on it is touching the dead coral...

or you scrub the rocks with coralline on there with a toothbrush relasing it into your water column

the purpleish tint on your tank tells me that you have NO lighting? coralline grows very slowly, if at all in this lighting....just another thought.

oceana

looks nice. IMO there is a bit to much in the way of dead corals but once ocvered in coralline in a few years it will look nice. BTW the rocks dont have to be touching for the coralline to spread it will be carried in the water all oevr the tank

fixed

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Looks good to me. However, in the long run you have too many fish in your tank. That yellow tang will eventually need the 55 all to himself.
Also, like Blemmy said, the dead coral is going to get pretty dirty-looking over time. Make sure you get a cleaning crew to help keep it white.

Thanks, it's relatively new, and I expect that coral to get pretty dirty. I was wondering if it's really too much, though.
The yellow one is a latice butterfly -- does that make a difference?
Will hire the crew when it starts dirtying up. Starting to get just a touch of cyan now.

fixed

Originally Posted by jdragunas
i agree. most of those fish will need a 75+ tank in a year or so... Other than that, it looks great! IMO, however, i'd have more LR, and less white. It looks great and all, but it draws your eyes to the dead coral first, rather than the fish.

Hmm, you mean the fish get BIGGER? Maybe I'll hold off on the feedings. ;-)
Got all the good live rock the lfs had -- then just about all their coral.
One the goodies in the live rock eventually inhabit the coral, too? How does that work?
Thanks.

carshark

I wouldnt hold off on the crew.....id say go ahead and get em goin...there is plenty for them to munch on im sure. especially with carnivores around...
youve got cyano already?? that tank looks real new. maybe they are brown diatoms?

fixed

Originally Posted by carshark
I wouldnt hold off on the crew.....id say go ahead and get em goin...there is plenty for them to munch on im sure. especially with carnivores around...
youve got cyano already?? that tank looks real new. maybe they are brown diatoms?
Hmm. Just might do that. What types good at first?
Little bright red/orange blotches on the live rock. This was very mature live rock, though, from the lfs.

carshark

yeah it sounds like you have some sponges or something on them, nice rock..
Id go with a few astrea snails, red legged and blue legged hermits, and a a couple turbo snails, that should get you started and get a decent crew going, until you need more if neccessary..see if the LFS will throw in a few empty shells that way you dont have a "crabfight" for shells...