Phytoplankton-What's the deal?

How hard is it to cultivate phytoplankton? What is required to do so? What corals benefit most from this and how often is it used? Thanks.
AJ

TJ,
Where do you buy most of your livestock? I live just south of Detroit. The only "decent" lfs around me is, IMHO, overpriced and underquality. I have not had a lot of success with their livestock. Plus their variety is limited.
Just wondering

saltyrich

Everything uses phyto. I think it would be a bit difficult to cultivate it yourself. I say why bother. DT's phytoplankton does that for you. This stuff is incredible. All corals will use it, and I mean everything! It is live phyto and must be refrigerated. Phtyos are the cornerstone of everything that happens in the ocean, IMO.

bang guy

Originally posted by MaroonClownFan
How hard is it to cultivate phytoplankton?

It's a pain at first but once you get the hang of it and have the equipment set up it will go easier. One of those things where you need to make some mistakes to learn and improve. The most difficult IMO is keeping the Phyto free of Rotifers and Copepods.
What is required to do so?

Air pump, clear containers, light, fertilizer, and a starter culture. Some online stores sell starter kits. 2 liter pop bottles work well for the containers. A shop light will do for lighting. I recommend a commercial Phyto fertilizer.
What corals benefit most from this and how often is it used?

Very few Coral benefit directly from Phyto, only a few actually directly eat it. The jury is still out on that. The Rotifer, pod and larvae population will thrive on the Phyto and the Coral will definately benefit on the increased food availability.
Guy