pic of my clowns

fishfreek

Beleive it or not, first time i ever tried posting a pic, i'l figure it out. :hilarious I'll post more later.

fishfreek

Bang, you are correct, they both are indeed Ocellaris Clownfish, my bad. Not sure the age of the greystripe, but he is about an 1-1/4" long if that is any indication at all. Is that what the misbared ocellaris clown is referred to as, greystripe?

nygel

are misbarred clowns rarer or something? cuz thats all I can get around here. nice pic, i really like it.

bang guy

Originally Posted by nYgel
are misbarred clowns rarer or something? cuz thats all I can get around here. nice pic, i really like it.
Misbar are not as common because most of us breeders euthanize the misbars.

monalisa

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Whoa...I've been on this thread at LEAST 3-4 times and I never noticed the gray bar...Wow, good eye.
What about a misbar like that...with the rare gray bar? Is that also a fish that would be euthanized? Just wondering...
Lisa :happyfish

nygel

why? just want them to all look normal? I've always looked for the ones that are misbared.

cjason3041

WHAT!!! YOU BANG GUY!!! no tell me you don't KILL a fish because it is misbarred???... :scared: :scared: why??

bang guy

Originally Posted by cjason3041
WHAT!!! YOU BANG GUY!!! no tell me you don't KILL a fish because it is misbarred???... :scared: :scared: why??

They usually also have some other defect as well. Misbar is an indication of some problem. If you look closely at most misbars you'll see short gills, misaligned jaws, crooked spines, short tails, etc. If the misbar has no obvious defects I usually keep them for myself. I have quite a few and I do enjoy them. I do not breed them.
For the ones that have defects, well, they get to hang out with the Banggai. The reason is that I do not want defective Clownfish out in the population breeding and propogating the defect. In the wild these fish would have perished naturally and would not be in the breeding community.
It's not the misbar that's the defect - this is important to understand. The Misbar is not genetic from what I have seen. What usually happens is that there's some other defect that impedes proper feeding or swimming. As a result the fish doesn't get the proper nutrition and proper development is hindered. Like I said, a fish in the wild that doesn't swim properly or eat well isn't going to live long. In a breeding setup where there are no predators these fish survive.

fishfreek

Very well put, bang! I was unaware that misbars tended to have problems with them. Mine seems to eat well and i don't notice anything physically abnormal about him. :joy: