pic of my new fish.. great colors :)

philgmiami

i just got the wrasse today. ive had the nigar trgger about a week..the nigar is camera shy and the wrasse things hes a superstar!!!!

thangbom

nice fish.. i have the same fish.. he's only 7'' or soo tho.. he swimms all day.. and look for food.. pick on a fish hea n there.. then sleep in the sandbed under a rock... :happyfish

philgmiami

Originally Posted by JayC
Very nice wrasse.
What kind is it?
i believe its a lunar wrasse llok it up on this site. i paid only $16 at this other lfs.. he is about 6 0r 7 inches

keonia

Very Nice colors!!! Do you know if this lunar wrasse eats bristle worms or if it's only the 6 line wrasse that does?

ophiura

Lunare wrassse are far more "destructive" to inverts than a sixline wrasse is. IME, big and often with a nasty disposition earning them the alternate name of "lunatic" wrasse. Can make you think you have a SMALL tank REALY fast with their movements. Had one that would methodically kill yellow tangs by eating their eyes out. Could kill several within a few hours.
But philgmiami, didn't you just (2 weeks ago or so?) have a naso with a serious quite possibly fatal ick outbreak? I am concerned about adding such a fish so quickly to a small tank. Know you don't want to hear that, but it tends to cost people $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

philgmiami

Originally Posted by ophiura
Lunare wrassse are far more "destructive" to inverts than a sixline wrasse is. IME, big and often with a nasty disposition earning them the alternate name of "lunatic" wrasse. Can make you think you have a SMALL tank REALY fast with their movements. Had one that would methodically kill yellow tangs by eating their eyes out. Could kill several within a few hours.
But philgmiami, didn't you just (2 weeks ago or so?) have a naso with a serious quite possibly fatal ick outbreak? I am concerned about adding such a fish so quickly to a small tank. Know you don't want to hear that, but it tends to cost people $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
the lfs here has had this wrasse since it was 3 inches.this one is very peacefull :yes: the owner of the fish store actualy hand fed this one. everytime i was there,he would stick a piece of krill at the top of the water line(holding the piece of krill in between his fingers)..ill admit yesterday day when i first added him to my tank,the lunar went crazy from one end of my tank to the other,going in and out of my rock work.the lunar was just check'n out his new home
.today hes more calm :happyfish .. id say the wrasse is about 6 inches...
ive had my nigar trigger(4 inches) about a few weeks now and the nigar has his own area in the rock work where he sleeps.. when i first added the wrasse the nigar would make sure the wrasse stayed away from his home,the nigar came out and even pecked the wrasse when he came to close to his sleeping hole in the rock... the wrasse knows now to stay away from that are,lol :yes: .. as im looking now at my tank, i see the nigar and the wrasse actualy swimming together :).. the wrasse is alot faster though,lol
these are the things you have to do in this hobby, you have to watch and see how all your fish get along with eachother
also ive noticed the wrasse going after my hermit crabs,crabs and snails.. i dont care though, if they get eat'n, ill just buy more..

mrandmrst

I found this thread by searching for Lunare Wrasse. I have one and it has been interesting. My husband calls him Morrison, as in Jim Morrison, after the tie-dye face and strange activities. I was cleaning the tank last week doing a substrate vac. and water change. After that.... my fish was gone!!! I thought my cat got him while I wasn't looking. Three hours later I started looking in all of the rocks and even went through the sand since I know they like to burrow, and nothing. The next day THERE HE WAS! Now he's Houdini. He's really cool to watch, especially at feeding time. :joy:

ricks280

thats correct puffer, they are not reef safe in fact get large very quick dig all the sand, first to the feed and as they get bigger they can become very aggresive. i have one in my 55 and theres no way he will be going into the 280 .
(rick)