pic of reef

nycbob

just ordered like 7 more sps frags. should be coming wednesday. this hobby is so addicting.

jc74

That looks nice. What setup do you have, and are you having luck with your mandarin?
I've never been able to keep one alive.

nycbob

i actually started up a fuge just for him. bought a few bags of pods from this site. i see the pods in my fuge and the mandarins tummy seems full at all time, so i assume he is happy. i hv enought lr to begin with, but didnt want to tk a chance w him starving since i also hv a scotter blenny. i;d say hv an established tank of at least 8-12 months and lots of rocks.

reefkprz

FYI: that huge cabbage leather is a sinularia dura, they contain and release terpines wich can be detrimental to the growth of many SPS and LPS up to and including death, usually just stunting growth. running carbon and doing plenty of water changes can help defray those effects.
some of the SPS/LPS most effected by the terpines are: Acropora, Cataphyllia, Euphyllia, Pleregyra, and Porites.
others in the sinularia family do the same, I justy wanted to give you a heads up on that.

saltn00b

really? havent heard that yet. i have maybe three times the amount of cabbage leather than bob. i do run carbon.

nycbob

that cabbage does grow fast. it probably double in size in 3 months. he was cheap too. got him for $20.

saltn00b

my cabbage does grow. it heal pretty quick too from cutting off 'heads' for frags.
however i have a nice ORE stylo pretty close to it and it is starting to grow new caps (new addition) and almost all of my LPS eupyllias are growing like crazy and some are almost touching the cabbage.

saltn00b

peck, yes.
nyc-
150. and i should add that i do run carbon but only a 1/2 of a small bag because that is what fits in my phosBan Reactor.

reefkprz

if you run carbon I wouldnt worry about it at all, If you werent running carbon I would reccomend starting at least one week out of the month. I too have several SPS and sinularia. they usually relaese high concentrations when damaged but if you have a good flow through rate on your carbon the terpines will get filtered out rather quickly.