picasso clown breeding

R

regina13

I was thinking about breeding Picasso Clowns, but was thinking that, b/c they are from the same parents it is like inbreeding? What do you think?

spiderwoman

Breeding Picasso clowns doesn't guarantee that you get Piccaso babies. That coloration is a defect from a pair of true Percula clowns or other clown couples. ORA doesn't continuously get Picasso clown babies for sale, they go through a very vigorous process of sorting out the new babies at different ages.

R

regina13

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2602647
Breeding Picasso clowns doesn't guarantee that you get Piccaso babies. That coloration is a defect from a pair of true Percula clowns or other clown couples. ORA doesn't continuously get Picasso clown babies for sale, they go through a very vigorous process of sorting out the new babies at different ages.
I realize that, but if you do breed picassos, they are from the same parents. Isn't that bad for the fish?

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by regina13
http:///forum/post/2603104
I realize that, but if you do breed picassos, they are from the same parents. Isn't that bad for the fish?
You don't have a way knowing if they are from the same parents to start with. At ORA I'm sure they have hundreds of breeding clowns at any given time and once the fry is big enough, they may be collected to larger fry's. As they grow they are sorted to different tanks based on their coloration, clear birth defects like missing fins etc. By the time you have 2 clear Picasso's, you don't know who their parents are.

R

regina13

The picassos at ora come from the original two parents don't they?

mscarpena

This is just a guess, but I would say no they are not from the same parents. I have also heard that they get one picasso baby out of 10,000 fry. They are very rare and hard to get thats why they are so expensive. I bred Ocellaris clowns for about 3 years and raised and sold about 3,000-4,000 fry and never got anything close to a picasso. I got one that has a large black spot on his tail and one that has his head stripe partiall missing. Also my fish do not produce any genetice deformaties at all. Only 2 that I were not able to sell. I am not sure if you would need a pair that produces a lot of deformaties to get picasso's or not. Who knows maybe they inbred to get that deformaty.

S

smartorl

I heard that all the picasso's in existance came from one original pair.
Linebreeding, in essence inbreeding, is how genetic mutations are perpetuated.
This is how certain traits in an animal or fish are passed on to the offspring. This is why these mutations are often not as hardy initially and down the road once the population is diverse enough, care needs to be taken to breed hardiness back into the lines.

b00st3d

Originally Posted by smartorl
http:///forum/post/2613962
I heard that all the picasso's in existance came from one original pair.
Linebreeding, in essence inbreeding, is how genetic mutations are perpetuated.
This is how certain traits in an animal or fish are passed on to the offspring. This is why these mutations are often not as hardy initially and down the road once the population is diverse enough, care needs to be taken to breed hardiness back into the lines.
That would be the same as saying all dwarfs(people) are born from the same parents. Which anyone can tell you is simply not true. It is a defect, or in this case a sought after abnormality.

fmarini

this is a difficult question to answer, but i think there are only a few parents to all the ORA picasso clowns. If i recall correctly, they are not inbred animals. I believe the story goes that ORA identified some wild caught adults that throw this picasso mutation (which are weirdly misbarred) at a higher frequency. The frequency is a little higher than 1:10,000, but its more like a few/100. Same goes for the "nked morph, these are from a few pairs of wild caught that happen to produce misbar'ed at a higher frequency.
As mentioned above breeding these pair together does not guarentee you get all nkeds or picasso or snowflakes back.

fish addict

This is what it says on the description of picassos on this site
"Extremely rare and sought after fish from ORA. Bred from a single mating pair."

spiderwoman

Well I'll be darned... there is a lady here in NC that has bred a pair of Picasso's and they are ready for shipment now. She had 200+ fry and there are Grade A and B Picasso's, Snowflake, regulars and misbars. They are adorable! I put my name on her list in hopes to get a pair. I'm down the list fairly far so probably the best are gone by the time she gets to me. This just proves that they can be bred and Picasso babies will come :)

demartini

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2780729
Well I'll be darned... there is a lady here in NC that has bred a pair of Picasso's and they are ready for shipment now. She had 200+ fry and there are Grade A and B Picasso's, Snowflake, regulars and misbars. They are adorable! I put my name on her list in hopes to get a pair. I'm down the list fairly far so probably the best are gone by the time she gets to me. This just proves that they can be bred and Picasso babies will come :)
That's awesome! does she have pictures?

quakstar

did you say that someone here in north carolina has picaso for sale Ewww I want it i want it... put me in contact with them

spiderwoman

Can you imagine the pay day you can get from breeding Picasso's?
Grade A goes for $99, Grade B $50, misbar $15 and Snowflake can easily go $200-300/clown.

quakstar

I am in high point north carolina and yes i can imagine i just saw a pair of MAC snowflakes on an

[hr]
site and they were going for 550 but if i had it i would have paid it right then they are well worth it