Picking up a tank this week!

markw

Ok, so I found a 20g long tank on CList. It comes with 20lbs LR, 20lbs LS, emerald crabs, hermits, some snails, a blue tail damsel, and three stripe damsel. Also a Fluval 4+ filter. All for $85! I thought this was a steal! So, I contacted this man and I go to pic it up this week. Im excited.
Its my first tank. Kind of nervous too. Im sure you can relate.

Mark

markw

Which sounds like a better deal? Mentioned or:
"I have a 12g namo cube that is saltwater all it needs is two new fans there like $30 on ----. Everything esle works on the tank.
i have one fish in the tank some live rocks and live sand. ill throw in a 5g bucket of salt and a seaclone protein skimmer, and a test kit.
i like to sell it for $130"
This one looks much nicer, and comes with a nice lokoing light.
Mark

markw

The way I figure it, if I get the 20g, I could always use it as my sump when the 75 gets up and running. However, I couldnt decide whether to get the 12g or 20g. (I know I wouldnt be using the 12g as a sump. I would get another 20.)

Mark

meowzer

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3135756
The way I figure it, if I get the 20g, I could always use it as my sump when the 75 gets up and running. However, I couldnt decide whether to get the 12g or 20g. (I know I wouldnt be using the 12g as a sump. I would get another 20.)

Mark
If you get the 20G...and set it up as a fish tank now....you will never use it as a sump....If you are like me...you will then have a 12G, a 20G, a 75G...and then have to buy a sump

markw

Youre probably right. I think I will pick up the 20. Its bigger and its cheaper. Also comes with two fish. I will probably pick up a better suited filter and heater for it, however. I will most likely get rid of the damsels and pick up a stereotypical clown too. Only time will tell. Im under the impression damsels eat on flake? Ive never inspired to keep the devils, so ive never looked into it.
Mark

meowzer

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3135758
Youre probably right. I think I will pick up the 20. Its bigger and its cheaper. Also comes with two fish. I will probably pick up a better suited filter and heater for it, however. I will most likely get rid of the damsels and pick up a stereotypical clown too. Only time will tell. Im under the impression damsels eat on flake? Ive never inspired to keep the devils, so ive never looked into it.
Mark
DAMSELS

Don;t do it man...I'm telling you RUNNNNNN

markw

Well, they come with the tank. Until they are gone, and I get another inhabitant, will they eat flakes? I hear you loud and clear ont hat one. They wont be in there very long once I have them.

Mark

markw

Im contemplating going away form the reef for this little tank and going for a mantis or scorpion (fuzzy dwarf) tank.

Mark

markw

For a mantis? I have a thread in the inverts section (taken over by another user now) discussing this same issue.

Mark

markw

Ok, so the man with the 12g emailed me and asked if I would give him $100 and take it. That seems much more reasonable. Im either thinking about going with a 12g with a pair of clowns, zoas, and GSPs, or the 20g mantis. Thoughts?
Mark

meowzer

OH...I missed the mantis...LOL...but maybe too small for the scorp
IDK...GEEZ....you're pressuring me here.....LOL

markw

YOU!? He wants me to pick up wednesday!
I could also put everything thats in the 20g in a 10 and make a nice looking tank without having to pick up anything. But the 12g needs a fan. It also comes with a 5g bucket of sand and a seaclone protein skimmer..so frustrating!
Mark

markw

In all the excitement, I didnt think about tearing the tank down! How do I go about this without creating another cycle? Wont draining the water make all the bacteria on the walls die and create another cycle? I know to take out all the fish and water and LR and put it all in buckets for transport, but what about the crustaceans? Do they get plucked out individually or taken out on the live rock? Do I take out the sand or will this make it cycle again?

Mark