Picking up my black percs Fri. any tips?

halo_frk03

ok well im picking up 2 black percs on this friday... anybody who has had these fish have any tips? thanks and if u have some.. please post some pics!
thanks,
Halo_Frk03

sac10918

Congrats! I have a pair of black and white clowns (I read a post on here that said there was no such thing as black and white perculas, only ocellaris) which I didnt know either.
I just adore my clowns. I would put up some pics if I knew how to!

halo_frk03

well i know they are no such things as percs... its just that percs sounds better and is easier to say than ocellaris! lol
well to post i use photobucket.com which is really really easy and to post on here... once u upload to photobucket u use the IMG link and paste that in the post

pclown

If you turn the lights off on your tank when you acclimate them it will help them feel stress.

halo_frk03

ok just some more questions... do u think it would be too much of a bioload on a 20 gal tank to add the 2 clowns and some small coral frags within 2 days of each other?? reason is... im getting the clowns tomorrow!!! and the next day a different lfs is having a big sale on corals, fish, equipment, etc.! so thats why thanks!
o and post some of ur pics of black clowns!
thanks
Halo_Frk03

halo_frk03

hey im in the nw burbs... is that ur clown in the avatar.... im getting them from advanced aquatics (in schaumburg) $20 each any other good lfs u know of?

riccio

Yeah, that's one of my latezonatus'. These are my black o's.
As far as stores, it depends on what you're looking for. But, Reef (aholics) Dwellers (Chicago), Deep Reef (Downers Grove) and Rods Reef (DeKalb) are a few of the best. I have a friend out in Roselle that sells a bunch of stuff out of his house. If your interested I can give you his #.

riccio

Bought from someone getting out of the hobby. I'm the fourth owner, and they've spawned for all previous owners, so hopefully they'll start for me soon.

sac10918

I will try to post a pic... but after seeing riccio's post, maybe mine are a different species? Can any one tell me?

sac10918

Wow, I can't believe that worked. That photobucket is a real easy way to do this. Thanks so much for the recommendation. HEre is a pic of the pair. Priscilla is on the lower left and maximus on the upper right (keeping his distance if you know what I mean!)
Any thought on if these are black and white clowns?

saltn00b

are those b/w saddle backs particularly agggressive? i have heard that they can be some meeeeaaan feeeshes

halo_frk03

ok well the black clowns arent coming in until late tonight... so im picking up my 2 tomorrow.... will it be too much of a bioload shock by adding those 2 clowns and some small frags of coral?

sac10918

I dont think you will have a problem with the two clowns and the corals. We added the two plus a rock with purple mushrooms on the same day.
I would suggest adding the corals before the clowns, so you don't have your hands in the tank right after you add the the clowns and scare them.

halo_frk03

Originally Posted by sac10918
I dont think you will have a problem with the two clowns and the corals. We added the two plus a rock with purple mushrooms on the same day.
I would suggest adding the corals before the clowns, so you don't have your hands in the tank right after you add the the clowns and scare them.
thats exactly what i was thinking of doing!

halo_frk03

ok guys... well i go to the lfs today.... and i see a pair of black saddle backs for 70 is that a good deal? i absolutely fell in love with them... so i get to talking to the guy about them... and he suggests that i get a protein skimmer first to help support my bio-load.... so i got a bak pak skimmer... its up and running now!.... now im in a dilemma... i dont know which clowns to get?? the black ocellaris? or the black saddleback