pics from Myrtle Beach Ripley's Aquarium

pontius

I was amazed by this jawfish, and he seemed to be fascinated with getting his picture taken. he was well over 5" long. I didn't know they grew that big

pontius

I don't know what kind of fish is in the second picture (some kind of wrasse or parrotfish?) but it was definitely photogenic and followed me around.

pontius

and finally. there were a ton of other things to take pics of, but a lot of the tanks are dark lit and hard to get clean photos of.

renogaw

great pics! you never really know how big these things are until you have a pic of some kid's head smaller than the fish!

pontius

Originally Posted by renogaw
great pics! you never really know how big these things are until you have a pic of some kid's head smaller than the fish!
yeah, I never got a good idea of how big some fish were until I first went to a public aquarium. that moray eel is at least 4 foot long, the biggest I've ever seen.
the mystery fish (parrot or wrasse?) is close to 2 foot.

reefdude37

Such a small world after all. I go thier every summer. I love the reef tank then have close to the leaf fishs. Thats a great aquarium. Great pics too. Did u walk on the boardwalk?

pontius

Originally Posted by ReefDude37
Such a small world after all. I go thier every summer. I love the reef tank then have close to the leaf fishs. Thats a great aquarium. Great pics too. Did u walk on the boardwalk?
yeah, the reef tank is the one with the yellow and hippo tangs.
I didn't go anywhere else at Broadway (I live here so I've pretty much done all there is to do here). I go to the aquarium about 3 times a year (locals get in for $7
). it's good to have a local aquarium to go to for inspiration. everytime I go there, I want to run out and buy more fish.

hardcrab67

I see inspiration for a vacation, hadn't been in a long time, forgot about Ripley's, Thx! We're only 6hrs from there. Been trying to think of a different aquarium to take the kids to. We've done VA Beach a couple times. They have a nice one too. Nice pics

spectre879

I recently ventured to the Newport Aquarium in Newport Kentucky. Their massive walk-through tank is home to hundreds of school fish that are all easily the size of a human torso. They had a Blue Hippo that dwarfed seemed to dwarf even my size.

ophiura

Nice Pics!!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Now the mystery fish....
This is why people comment on tank size with tangs

That is a vlamingi tang (Naso vlamingi
)
AWESOME!! :cheer:

pontius

Originally Posted by ophiura
Nice Pics!!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Now the mystery fish....
This is why people comment on tank size with tangs

That is a vlamingi tang (Naso vlamingi
)
AWESOME!! :cheer:
lol, I actually did consider it possibly being a tang. the 2 things that threw me off were the humped nose on top of the mouth and the way it perched on things (I've never seen a tang do this). it didn't do much swimming, it would just go from place to place and perch.

bill109

whne i get my first house im puttin in one of thoose lol and when i do all invite you all to come and scooba with me lol
:happyfish

cowfishrule

if im correct, that aquarium has a dark room with a large nautilus tank and this massive lobster that can feed an army

pontius

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
if im correct, that aquarium has a dark room with a large nautilus tank and this massive lobster that can feed an army
I've never seen that. it could have been a temporary display though. they have several large displays that don't change and then several more that change from time to time. where was it located inside the building?