Pics of my 2 CB reidi

monalisa

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
As soon as they lighten in color then you will know they are truly happy with their surroundings.
Good to know Darth, is that true for all horse species?
Pete159,
I'm really interested in finding out more about your set up. How old is it, how big, etc. Do your horses have any tank mates? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have 2 fillies there?
I know...questions, questions, questions...sorry.
Lisa

pete159

They are starting to lighten in color and finally eating brine shrimp. I keep the water at 73.7 - 74.0 The JBJ nano arctica chiller is great. i have the sapphire protein skimmer and a 9 watt UV sterilizer.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Good to know Darth, is that true for all horse species?

Most due, there is a slight color change when truly happy in an aquarium...some are more extreme than others. But the changes even subtle ones are noticeable from the

[hr]
eye.

monalisa

Most due, there is a slight color change when truly happy in an aquarium...some are more extreme than others. But the changes even subtle ones are noticeable from the

[hr]
eye.
I've noticed with my horses at certain times (mostly after feeding and hunting) that my horses have a very noticeable change in their color. They turn from black to almost a silver color...I think I've posted this somewhere else, but I digress. This is something that I've observed from late in the first week that they were in their new home. So, this is a sign of being happy? Hope so.
Lisa

monalisa

Originally Posted by pete159
They are starting to lighten in color and finally eating brine shrimp. I keep the water at 73.7 - 74.0 The JBJ nano arctica chiller is great. i have the sapphire protein skimmer and a 9 watt UV sterilizer.
OK, the horse in that pic is definitely a male. Are you planning on breeding?
Sorry, just reread your post. It's my understanding that brine shrimp have NO nutritional value for anything...man nor beast. Are your horses eating frozen mysis? Soak in garlic...my ponies love their garlic shrimp.
Lisa

pete159

the brine shrimp were enriched with spirulina and other good stuff, but i got some mysis shrimp today as well thats also enriched. i also have some selcon and kent garlic extract i can soak them in.
is instant ocean a good salt mix i'm trying it after using red sea

rykna

the brine shrimp were enriched with spirulina and other good stuff, but i got some mysis shrimp today as well thats also enriched. i also have some selcon and kent garlic extract i can soak them in.
Well, I prefer coralife, but instant ocean is fine too. I think the coral life is loaded with more calcium for reef tanks, so if the instant ocean is cheaper....IMHO I think Coralife mixes better/easier.

monalisa

I use Oceanic salt in both of my tanks, but then I plan on keeping corals in both of my tanks (softies in the sh tank).
Sorry if it sounded like I was going off about the brine...just a little red flag went up (can't ignore red flags). How are your horses taking to the mysis? Can you tell me what exactly is selcon? I'd like to get some for my ponies as well.
Lisa...

rykna

Yeppers. Selcon is another food enhancer, which comes highly recomended. I have it, but if you use it, make sure you soak your food in it for at least 20 minutes and drain the excess off...the Selcon make the water cloudy if you don't drain the excess off.

darthtang aw

Selcon is a vitamin additive...20 minutes isn't long enough in my opinion. I would take the food out and thaw it, soak it in the selcon for 24 hours in the fridge before I fed. I also never drained the excess as I believe it will help your inverts and never had a bad experience not draining it.
20 minutes doesn't seem lonbg enough to allow the frozen foods to soak up their capacity.

monalisa

Selcon is a vitamin additive...20 minutes isn't long enough in my opinion. I would take the food out and thaw it, soak it in the selcon for 24 hours in the fridge before I fed. I also never drained the excess as I believe it will help your inverts and never had a bad experience not draining it.
20 minutes doesn't seem lonbg enough to allow the frozen foods to soak up their capacity.
Same with the garlic?
Is the Selcon beneficial at all to corals?
Lisa

rykna

Wow.....I wish there was a Seahorse 101 class...
say...can you soak and refreeze the food...I guessing no...

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by Rykna
I don't see why not, I have on occasion, never with seahorse food however. Always did it with my home made fish foods for my lionfish and puffer.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Same with the garlic?
Is the Selcon beneficial at all to corals?
Lisa
same with garlic in my opinion. As for beneficial to corals, I am not entirely sure, but I can't see how it would hurt. Might ask a coral expert.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by Rykna
I wouldn't refreeze any food, once thawed. It is very diffucult to be sure the temp while thawing has been kept low enough to prevent bacterial infection.
Just not a good practice.

rykna

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
I wouldn't refreeze any food, once thawed. It is very diffucult to be sure the temp while thawing has been kept low enough to prevent bacterial infection.
Just not a good practice.
bacterial infection???
Now i hear what you're saying, but I take meat out of the freezer all the time, thaw it, and end up putting it back because we made something different for dinner. Certainly I would not prepare any thawed meat that had been left out for more than an hour.
So what would cause contamination? When I thaw food for my fish, it's thaws at room temp, which takes about 20 minutes, I also soak it in food enhancer for 20 minutes. So the average cube sits out for almost an hour. Bacteria is present every where to some extent...
Have you experienced complications due to contaminated food?It is raw shrimp, so would the bacterial problem stem from not cooking the food??

bronco300

with selcon....darth you seem to know a lot more than I....but i've always read of forums like seahorse. org that those type of enrichments are very greasy....and they should only be soak for a few hours...thats what i've always been told with when i enrich my BBS