Pictures and Questions

pepito113

Hello. I bought these two corals approx 10 days. I have a few questions and maybe you guys can answer them.
1- One is a green type of brain and the other is a fuzzy mushroom correct? Not sure
2- Does any one know the exact name so I can do more research about both? I only know alittle
3- Why in the brain does it look like it has 2-3 little mouths. What is it for?
4-If i get the exact name I can research more and find out if feeding is needed?
Any additional info would be great....
Attachment 244057, Attachment 244056,Attachment 244055,Attachment 244054
You can see before and after. One pic is after 5 mins of light. Second pic is after a few hours. You can see that both open up alot.

speg

yeah open brain and hairy mushrooms.
Some advice that'll help you through the hobby:
Try to do the research on coral before you actually pick them up from the store. You'll end up saving money in the long run since you'll already have a 'game plan' on what needs to be done to successfully keep your livestock.
The brain will take larger pieces of meaty foods. Diced shrimp/fish will work well. The 'flaps' of the coral will rise slightly and tentacles will come out and this is where you'll want to place some of the food. I'd personally feed twice a week at least.
The hairy mushrooms don't require feeding but will do better if they can get some of that small diced food you fed the brain. The food you feed them has to be able to sit inside of the mushroom long enough for it to close up around it.

pepito113

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3284158
yeah open brain and hairy mushrooms.
Some advice that'll help you through the hobby:
Try to do the research on coral before you actually pick them up from the store. You'll end up saving money in the long run since you'll already have a 'game plan' on what needs to be done to successfully keep your livestock.
The brain will take larger pieces of meaty foods. Diced shrimp/fish will work well. The 'flaps' of the coral will rise slightly and tentacles will come out and this is where you'll want to place some of the food. I'd personally feed twice a week at least.
The hairy mushrooms don't require feeding but will do better if they can get some of that small diced food you fed the brain. The food you feed them has to be able to sit inside of the mushroom long enough for it to close up around it.
Can u bee more specific on where to place the food. Am I suppose to place it next to the brain so it can get it or On the actual brain??? And what are the holes on the brain? u can see them in the pics. Is that where it feeds or just get water in and out?

pepito113

ok. I will try to feed it there and see what happens. I hope the fish or CUC dont eat it first...I will place it by the mouth on the brain and see if the tentacles come out.

speg

Once the tentacles come out you can place the food directly into the tentacles or you can just place it on top (near the mouths) and the coral will move around and adjust so it can get the food in its mouth.
Those holes are most likely mouths. I can't see them in the pic though.

pepito113

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3284168
And put the brain on the sandbed. The rock will tend to irritate the flesh.
So I have my open brain sitting on a rock. I know you said to place it on the sandbed. But do u think it will get the required light it needs down there. My tank is 24" high. So it will go from 14" down to 24" on the sand bed. I have 2 lights. One light is Power compact 196 watt. The other is T5 80 watt. I use 50/50 daylight/ actinic bulbs.
Any info or help would be great.

speg

Since when do power compacts come in 196 watts????
That is decent light and you should put him on the sand. Feed it.

pepito113

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3284629
Since when do power compacts come in 196 watts????
That is decent light and you should put him on the sand. Feed it.
Its 192 total watts sorry. 2 bulbs of 96 watts.. plus the t5 light of 80 watts. Ok So I will place the opne brain down in the sand. I was just afraid of him being so low in the bottom of the tank he would not get enough light. 24" down. I will feed him small pieces of shrimp and fish