Pie

ophiura

Many of you are aware I am particularly fond of pie.
Yes, I like pie.
Lots.
Today, for the first time, I had a new pie - buttermilk pie.
I do not believe I ever included this on my list of pies during previous discussions (mostly taking place in threads that were too "heated" for their own good). But I must say...WOW!!!

It is just fantastic! I ate two pieces (I had lots of pie last week, french apple and pumpkin, of course).
But my oh my. Buttermilk pie!!!!
However, I believe this is more of a southern thing? Might be why my little NY self never had one until now....

keri

I have NEVER heard of buttermilk pie!!
But I too am a lover of pie....
What's it taste like?

mboswell1982

i lived in the south, deep south, my whole life up until this time last year, and i have never in my life heard of buttermilk pie
but, my personal favorites are, dutch apple, pumpkin, and a jist pie is pretty good as well LOL

jennythebugg

ive heard of it, but never been brave enough to try it. im not fond of buttermilk and was always afraid that it had a strong 'buttermilky' taste

peef

archgchghe (homer simpson noise) PIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I freaken LOOOOOVE pie.
In fact I think I am going to finish off the punkin pie thats in the fridge....thats a good breakfast right?

stdreb27

Buttermilk pie is to die for, if done right. It is kind of a custard pie, that is white and well glorious.

saltn00b

hmmm never heard of it.
this is BMP with warm blackberry sauce

here is chocolate BMP!

i have to try those!

dragonzim

Never even heard of Buttermilk Pie. My wife makes the most amazing apple pie ever though. The one that she made for Thanksgiving this year had about 6 lbs of apples and after cooking was about 8 inches tall!

nw2salt08

How to make Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Pie:
1 cup sugar
3 T flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
2 T butter, melted
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
one unbaked single-crust Foolproof Pie Crust pie shell
Line greased pie pan with piecrust. Combine sugar, flour, and salt in a large bowl. Add egg yolks, buttermilk, and melted butter. Mix well. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff.
Fold egg whites into buttermilk mixture. Mix carefully and pour into the prepared pie pan. Bake at 375-degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. This pie is a neat cross between a custard pie and a meringue. And it’s just plain yummy!

If you want the foolproof pie crust recipe too I can add that. Just ask.

pumper

I live in deep south Alabama. My grandmother makes buttermilk pie and it's always the bomb!!!! But my personal favorite is key lime pie.

mie

My wife is from York, Pa and they make this pie called shoo flie pie. It has molasses in it.......................YUK!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2859733
Have you ever tried king syrup? OMG SUPER YUK!
My wife loves that stuff, she puts it on scrapel.
king syrup hmmm i'll have to go look. I love oatmeal rasin cookies made with molassas.