'Pimple' on Flame Angel

richl

I have had a Flame Angel for about 3 1/2 months. He started in QT 6 weeks and has now been in the DT about 2 months. I have a 125 gal FOWLR set-up. He seems fine except he recently developed a white spot toward the back of his head. It looks like a whitehead pimple. Much larger than an ick spot. I don't see anything in the disease pictures that looks like it. He's the last fish added and his tankmates are 2 Heniochus Bannerfish, 2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 Klein's Butterfly, 1 small Yellow Tang and 1 Green Chromis. All seem get along well. Water parameters are perfect except Nitrates are about 40. Any idea what it could be?

Originally Posted by RichL
http:///forum/post/3245509
I have had a Flame Angel for about 3 1/2 months. He started in QT 6 weeks and has now been in the DT about 2 months. I have a 125 gal FOWLR set-up. He seems fine except he recently developed a white spot toward the back of his head. It looks like a whitehead pimple. Much larger than an ick spot. I don't see anything in the disease pictures that looks like it. He's the last fish added and his tankmates are 2 Heniochus Bannerfish, 2 Ocellaris clowns, 1 Klein's Butterfly, 1 small Yellow Tang and 1 Green Chromis. All seem get along well. Water parameters are perfect except Nitrates are about 40. Any idea what it could be?
40ppm isnt that high of a nitrate reading. provided an accurate test is being used. This probably isnt a water problem. That leaves stress, diet or parasites. I 'd try the diet first. The flame angel is the only fish with a spot it's probably not parasites. Try to get some garlic into its diet and wait a week to see if it improves. I'd also make sure it's not being harassed by your tang.My yellow tang constantly harassed a flame angel and harassed my bothers coral beauty after taking it off my hands.

richl

it doesn't look like lymphocyctis. I have seen lympho before on fins and it doesn't look like that at all. Like I said, it looks like a small round white pimple. He's actively swimming and eating well. I feed a varied diet that includes Ocean Nutrition's Formula Two and SanFrancisco Bay Frozen Angel and Butterfly Diet as well as mysis shrimp and brine shrimp with spirulina. I also feed spirulina flakes and green, brown & red algae sheets. The red has garlic added, so maybe I'll load up on that one for a while. I usually rotate something new every day, but maybe I'll stick with the Angel & Butterfly for week or so to see if it makes a difference. The Yellow Tang is fairly timid and is smaller than all the other fish except the Chromis, so I don't think he's a problem. The Heni's are in the tank the longest and are the most aggressive, but they mostly chase each other and even that seems playful. Anything else anyone can suggest? Thanks