Pinguin Bio-Wheel Filter

ryanlee

Gaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thing is a nitrate factory. :mad: Would it be safe if I just remove it?

magicm1ke

Ryan,
You are correct the BIO Wheel is a Nitrate mess. They are best for Freshwater tanks. Just remove biowheel and use the carbon filters only, you will get better results.
MM

jacqueline

umm can you explain why it raises your nitrates ?? i thought that they where good cause they got air into the water..... have i said i hate ***** so far :(

magicm1ke

The biowheel holds in the nitrates. Nitrates will build up on the wheel and continue to circulate. All Biowheel are meant best for freashwater setups. I have asked the question also and told to remove the biowheel. Did that and tank ir running flawless.

saltn00b

the bio wheel is fine for nano systems. it makes the most sense when you dont want to have a sump on the real small set ups.
anything can be a nitrate trap if you dont take the time to clean out the gunk once in a while when it builds up. i have a larger biowheel model on my 29g QT tank, used in conjunction with a maxijet 600, the GPH is fine and the trates are nill to manageable, depending on the bioload.

bobwire

I don't understand the big deal on Bio-wheel filtration? I have been using the Emperor 400 Filter for about two and half years. At this point I can say that my levels are just about rock-solid. I don't even get a change when the sand gets stirred on accident. I was a little worried when I first saw what my local aquarium designer had order for us. But I will tell you that I have only had a couple of issues and I feel these are totally unrelated.

1journeyman

I'm a huge fan of going fliterless.
Lot's of live rock, sand, a good protein skimmer and good water flow seems to work well.

saltn00b

+1
i agree with journeyman, :)
although there are some cases where you need a filter, such as a quarantine tank...