Pink algae on glass

hkgar

I have what i think is a type of algae growth on the front glass. It is little cicles of pink and is quite crusty. I have seen large amounts of this at my LFS and believe it to be beneficial. Can you tell me what it is and should I be concerned or happy? It is only on the front glass, I would rather it was on the back.

dsa_mom

sounds like coraline algae, the colored stuff that grows on live rock. Do you have live rock in your tank? some people just leave it, if it bothers you, you can use an algae scraper to remove it.

lnarobbins

I agree with dsa_mom. leave it but if it bothers you or you can't see your fish anymore go ahead and remove some.
good luck
Alan

memnoch

Sounds like coralline, i'd scrape it if it's on the glass though. Afterall you want to see your critters don't you? Get some LR, i grows like crazy on the stuff with good lighting.

karlas

most people clean it off the front and sides of the tank but let it grow on the back of the tank. lighting doesnt really matter with corraline with how well it grows just the color. there are several different colors that grow in different level of light. in our tank i have found purples, pinks, green, blue, and burgandy. the purple is starting to take over the greens and blues though. also ive heard of it in white, yellow, orange. they have different types of corralines here
<a href="http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/algae_page/algae_gallery.htm" target="_blank">alge page</a>

G

glazer

hkgar,
No one has mentioned it yet so I might as well. First it does indeed seem as though you have coraline algae growing on the glass, very cool! Do you have a good water flow hitting the front glass either from return pumps or powerheads? The coraline seems to take off and grow much better where there is high current, not that it doesn't elsewhere, just better with good water movement.
If you position your pump returns/powerheads in a matter so they shoot more front to back and side to side this should help some in keeping the front glass cleaner. Just a suggestion, ;)

hkgar

Glazer,
Thanks for the info. My Powereheads wer both pointing to the front at an angle from the back corners. I have redirected them to the sides and back.