Pink Montipora turning white

805puffer

hi, i got a small frag of pink montipora capricronus as a gift and i put it in my tank and it looks like it is bleached and dieing becasue it is turning white. im not really sure what to do. i acclimated it with just the actinicts on and i left my metal halides off for a day and then turned them back on. any info will be helpfull. thanks
oh and that brown spot was there before it went on my tank, im not sure what that is either.

viper_930

How long have you had it before it started turning white?
I see two things in the pics that could possibly be the cause. The majano anemone could be stinging it. Or the exothermic reaction of the curing epoxy could cause the dieoff.

805puffer

it is turning white as far as i can see, when i put it in my tank it was all pink except for the brown spot. it doesn't look like it is flaking off. thanks

805puffer

i had it for about 1 week and then it started to turn white. i was kind of wandering about that little anemone, how should i kill it. i put epoxy on the bottom of it to stick it to the rock and i got a little on top of it on accident, the epoxy said reef safe though?

viper_930

It is reef safe, to some extent. When the epoxy cures it gets warmer, which could kill some of the coral especially if it was freshly cut.
You can inject the anemone with kalk with a syringe. What I do is I just smother them with superglue, but I'm sure epoxy will work just as good.

X

xnikki118x

Originally Posted by ReefNut
Is it turning white or is the flesh flaking off??
Good question.

murph145

if its white that means it dead...
check to make sure there are no monti eating nudis these would be lil white slug lookin creatures that eat the monti usually seen more at night or on the underside during the daytime....
either way whites not good something is wrong...
swing by my house sometimes if u ever need a new piece

promisetbg

It looks like an orange cap that was already bleached. What are your tank parameters? Alk, Ca, PO4? How much flow, what type of lighting, and how long has the tank been set up, what size is the tank? Are you keeping detritus from settling on it?
I would suggest if you want to save it, frag away the white part. As long as there are no nudibranchs, it may come back.

reefnut

Originally Posted by 805puffer
i noticed it turning white one day ago, and then i just took the picture today.
How is it today?? All white or about the same??
I agree with Viper that the epoxy curing probably started it. IMO you should wait a few weeks after acclimation to glue them in place.

805puffer

It looks like the white is about the same, it is hard to tell.
tank parameters=
ph- 8.6
alk- (my test just has a low, normal, high range) it is jsut above the normal range.
cal- 400
po4- 1
the tank has been setup for about 2 years with me and then another guy had it for about 8 years. Im not sure how much flow, but there is a good amount becasue the frag would fall off the rock if it wasn't glued down.I have a rio pump that pumps 1090 GPH, and i have 1 powerhead in the tank.
the tank is a 110 gallon, for lighting i have 2 mh 10,000K, 2 actinics 96w, and 1 t5 35w.
thanks, and how would i frag it, do i get a dremel and cut it off or something?

crzyfshygy

I would break it in to 3 small pcs and get rid of the die off, Check your MAG levels....they need to be right to keep that coral. Also so nitrates....
I have that coral and it can be fussy, but it grows like a weeD!!

805puffer

ok, so just get a dremel and cut the white parts off and then cut it up in 3 little pieces? should i just rubberband it to the rock for a week or so and then glue it on? thanks

promisetbg

1 powerhead in a 110 is'nt alot of flow for sps, and I am not a Rio fan.They are a dangerous pump, they have been know to leak oil. I would suggest twice the amount of flow you have.
PO4 at 1 is not a good thing for corals , you need to get that down to 0. I would glue the frags to a rock using super glue gel, a rubberband may cut into the flesh, and when removed yank the frag back from the rock.

crzyfshygy

Originally Posted by 805puffer
ok, so just get a dremel and cut the white parts off and then cut it up in 3 little pieces? should i just rubberband it to the rock for a week or so and then glue it on? thanks
No dremel....break it with your hand. Try to keep the hand off the top polyps. It will need to heal, keep it in high light and good flow but direct.
Find a place where it wont keep moving or falling!!