pistol shrimp

obx fish

we got a pisstol shrimp today. when we were placing it in the tank it made noises that sounded like a cap gun going off several times. it was pretty neat. does anyone know anything about these things? once he got in the tank he disappeared. are there any good books that have good info w/pics of corals and inverts?

azonic

That's why their called Pistol shrimp, they make a noise like a gun. That's all I know about them

byrself

i had one that came with some live rock, but i haven't seen it in a while. i haven't heard it either. i wonder if it's even still alive. i did get a snapshot of it though one time when i turned the lights on in the middle of the night.

brian'sreef

a good book to get would be the BEANSCH marine atlas 1.. it's got a lot of pictures of different pistols.. they make the popping sound with their larger claw by snapping it together very fast it can easily be heard in and out of the water.. the pistol shrimp is also a species that can live in a symbiotic relationship with most gobies.. the shrimp will dig the hole and the goby will act as a guard for their burrow.. it's a very interesting sybionse.. good luck
brian

y2says

Mine doesn't look like that. I got mine from this site and looks totally different. It doesn't even have big claws and haven't heard a sound yet.