Pistol Shrimp?

blownpony

I'm going to be setting up a tank in a little while. So I have a ton of questions. I want some Pistol Shrimp maybe a watcher goby too. My question is what do I want to use in the bottom of the tank? My local stores say to stay away from sand (which I know you guys like) to much trouble. Go with crushed coral that would be better with shrimp. Truthfully I'm a little confused on what to do. Thanks for any help.

oregonbud

Hi Blownpony,
Welcome to the boards. It sounds like you are doing the right thing and trying to get advice before you buy anything.
When I first setup my tank about 7 months ago, I bought CC on the recommendation of the LFS, for the same reason that they told you about maintaince. CC is a pain in the butt, I could never keep my nitrates down, which in turn would cause ugly diatom algea blooms, which made the CC look terrible. I changed it out to a DSB about 6-8 weeks into the tank being established, and it was a task I dont think I ever want to undertake again. Changing the substrate in an existing system is not fun, and it adds expense, as well as extra work on your part.
I have been completely happy with my DSB (which cost much less then the CC I got originally) As far as maintainence, there is none. You do not vaccum a DSB, you want to leave the sand bed as undisturbed as possible for it to be effective. Nitrates are not an issue in my tank any longer, they have not risen to a detectable level in months (with normal tank maintainence - I don't want you to think I just put water in and don't do anything - regular r/o d/i water changes are performed)
As far as a mated goby/shrimp pair, the burrow is usually made of loose rubble, not necessarily CC, one tank I looked at recently had a pair with a DSB, and the goby had piled up rocks around the burrow to help protect the shrimp. I don't think the shrimp or the goby could burrow in a CC bed (I may be wrong on this one though)
If you have not already gotten some books on the hobby I would strongly suggest you do, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is a great book, that has some great advice.

oregonbud

I am actually planning on getting a watchman/shrimp pair as my next and final fish addition. I have been planning on doing this since I first saw them,so I have kind of planned my setup around them when I switched to the DSB - then I bought about 3.5 lbs of LR rubble, to scatter around the bottom of the tank - its actually kinda funny how much of it gets moved around by all the other stuff in the tank.
IMO I wouldn't even mess with any CC, just get the DSB, and pick up a couple pounds of small(nickel sized to silver dollar size pieces) LR rubble from your LFS.

blownpony

Went to my local store last night they have a watcher/shrimp pair they are trying to sale it for $200. Guy said you have to have certain ones or they won't pair up. He was trying to make it sound like its very hard thing to do. I was thinking it was pretty easy from what I have read.

oregonbud

Do some shopping around - I can get a mated pair for 50 bucks - not sure why your LFS is trying to sell a pair for 200 - that seems really outrageous to me.
As far as the care level goes, I have seen them marked as an easy fish to care for, but personally I would not place a mated pair into a tank that is less then 6 months old, gobies are great fish, but sometimes don't do well in new tanks because of the limited amount of food supply, as well as fluctuations in your water quality.

richard rendos

I wouldn't buy them already paired up. I think that is a myth. I had a goby/pistol shrimp pair that I bought at separate times...they paired up almost immediately. As for the substrate, I would use sand and provide a few pieces of CC or small shells or other rubble rock for the shrimp to use around the opening of their burrow.

I agree with Richard, bought my seperately and they paired up instantly and I think I spent $24.00 for the both of them. The guy that wants $200 is nuts! Also, the pistol I have is a beautiful deep magenta purple I've never seen another one the same color. So either I got one heck of a deal or like I said before the guy is nuts!!!

bang guy

Originally posted by Blownpony
Guy said you have to have certain ones or they won't pair up.

Not all Pistols form a symbiotic relationship. Buy the right Shrimp and the right Goby(s) and they probably pair up.