PJ Cardinals do they have a chance?

Hi guy and Gals
I have a pair of PJ Cardinals that have decided to breed YEAH? I have a 125 reef with plenty of rock and corals and well you get the idea. Anyway I am not willing to tear the tank apart to separate them, do the Babies have a chance in the rock to survive? Or are they just food?

bang guy

Originally Posted by crazyreefnut
http:///forum/post/2831544
Hi guy and Gals
I have a pair of PJ Cardinals that have decided to breed YEAH? I have a 125 reef with plenty of rock and corals and well you get the idea. Anyway I am not willing to tear the tank apart to separate them, do the Babies have a chance in the rock to survive? Or are they just food?

Just food.
The male PJ will release the fry as they hatch. They are too small to survive in an aquarium without special attention.
Growout of the fry is similar to that of Clownfish.

fmarini

Hey Guy--
your right on w/ the pelagic larvae cardinals, unless you've isolated the spawn and collected the fry you'll never have success in a display tank.
it appears the cardinal fry are probably right on par w/ raising pseudochromis-- so if your experienced in breeding dottyback, you'll probably have success w/ these cards as well
CRAZYREEFNUT- keep feeding the cardinals and eventually you'll get the bug to try these fish. Consider purchasing Matt wittenrich's book "illustrated guide to marine fish breeding"-- it has a section on cardinalfish
you can find it on Amazon

culp

if you want to give the cardinal fish a chance at life you would need to keep them in a breeder box and have special food for the newly born fish that is small so it can fix in they're little mouths.