Plan ?'s New shark tank set up

jas_zone

This is my first post so please bear wit me if it doesn't come out quite right.
I want to work out a plan before I just jump in to this so I thought I would ask.
I am setting up a 220 that will be the permanent home of a marbled cat shark.
I am planning on running two tide pools a live sand bed and a large protien skimmer. "I already have the tidepools and the skimmer"
I have kept a 155 gallon reef for the last four years with 300 lbs of live rock and 1 tidepool it has worked great with little work other than a monthly water change. I would like to set up the shark tank in a similar manner but I would like to avoid live rock in the tank as I don't want to cut down on swimming room for the shark. He is currently 16 inches and has been in a 95 gallon holding tank since he was brought home 3 months ago.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

condork12

go for it. you said that it will be permanent. i dont know if he will be happy is "whole" life in it. Buit a good portion he should be fine. make sure your large skimmer is a LARGE skimmer. always impt. for sharks

requiem

I know this might sound like a small aquarium for a shark but a 95 for a marbled cat shark. Is big enough if the shark attaians a maximum lenght of 23in the aquarium should be 2-3 times long and .75 times as wide so the total aquarium demsions should be some where around 57 in long x 18 in wide x 18 in high or around 80 gallons.
Stalter

condork12

That possibly eing true doesnt make it good idea. Try an experiment for me. Get 2 marbled cats and put 1 in a 95gal and 1 in a 300gal. See which one lives the longer life. Its just not logical, why would you put an animal that normally lives in 328,000,000 cubic miles of water in a 80gallons of water. I think u having a good knowledge about sharks would agree with me that it can be done but isnt in the best interest of the shark.. But yah a 220 should/will be fine.

jas_zone

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I will try to post some pics when I get the 220 established. Any thoughts on Tank mates for this guy?