Plane almost crashes in germany

miaheatlvr

Frickng INSANE!!!!! lol
I saw this earlier,,, Just to keep it going... p.s. I think that PILOT should be fired for even attempting that landing, He had more than enough time to know that air was very turbulent along with the present wind sheer... EVEN THOUGH, Lufthansa has a very impeccable record.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
http:///forum/post/2500914
Frickng INSANE!!!!! lol
I saw this earlier,,, Just to keep it going... p.s. I think that PILOT should be fired for even attempting that landing, He had more than enough time to know that air was very turbulent along with the present wind sheer... EVEN THOUGH, Lufthansa has a very impeccable record.
IIRC there's no "set" limit on crosswind speeds for commercial aircraft (even more unsure since this was in Germany). But the typical average limit is between 20-40 knots. Basically a judgement call between the pilots and the control tower. Of course this is why many airports are built with runways that cross in an 'X' so they can land with the wind. Unsure of the layout of Hamburg though...
From what the article said, as the plane was landing a gust of 155mph broadsided the airplane. If the crosswinds had been less all day, then the big gust hits, there's really not much anyone can do to predict that.

oscardeuce

Every aircraft has a crosswind limit. There was obviously wind, but the pilot also seemed to let his upwind wing get too high just before touchdown, and the gust was able to pick up the wing even more.
All decisions are in the hands of the pilot in command. If ATC says land, you do not have to. You can always deviate from controllers, but you'd better have a darn good reason