Planning on setting up a refugium... help?

zeromus-x

I've done a lot of searches and read a lot of stuff here, but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.
I've got a 36g bowfront on a stand. The inside of the stand can hold a 10g tank. I've got a 10g. I've seen plenty of pictures to know that I'm going to need an overflow box for the tank. I take the overflow and run it down to the 10g. Three pieces of plexi (debatable, I know, but it seems to make sense to me; first one to send the bubbles up, second one to only allow water through, third to hold in the substrate). I plan on getting a bunch of live rock pieces and I've got about 6# of live sand left over from the main tank that I can use. I put the live sand and rocks in the center part. Finally, I pump the water out the other side, and back into the tank.
The main part I'm looking for advice on is the actual hardware. The tank is a corner tank, and I'd like to have the overflow in the back corner, which probably means I'll be making something myself. From what I've seen, they syphon the water into a tank hanging on the back, and then down. Does there need to be a pump here syphoning it? Any recommendations on pumps to use in the refugium itself? Should I be using plants as well as rock/sand?
My other main question -- using this setup, do I need a HOB filter? I'm using an Emperor 280 (?) right now. It's bulky and ugly since the tank is in the middle of the room, not actually in a corner. I'd love for it to go away. If I need it, could I put it in the refugium? What about the heater?
Finally, I have no skimmer or anything; just the tank, the LR, the LS, and the HOB filter. Should I start looking into a skimmer or anything else? And can these run in the refugium instead of the main tank?
Sorry about so many questions, just anxious!

hot883

Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
I've done a lot of searches and read a lot of stuff here, but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.
I've got a 36g bowfront on a stand. The inside of the stand can hold a 10g tank. I've got a 10g. I've seen plenty of pictures to know that I'm going to need an overflow box for the tank. I take the overflow and run it down to the 10g. Three pieces of plexi (debatable, I know, but it seems to make sense to me; first one to send the bubbles up, second one to only allow water through, third to hold in the substrate). I plan on getting a bunch of live rock pieces and I've got about 6# of live sand left over from the main tank that I can use. I put the live sand and rocks in the center part. Finally, I pump the water out the other side, and back into the tank.
The main part I'm looking for advice on is the actual hardware. The tank is a corner tank, and I'd like to have the overflow in the back corner, which probably means I'll be making something myself. From what I've seen, they syphon the water into a tank hanging on the back, and then down. Does there need to be a pump here syphoning it? Any recommendations on pumps to use in the refugium itself? Should I be using plants as well as rock/sand?
My other main question -- using this setup, do I need a HOB filter? I'm using an Emperor 280 (?) right now. It's bulky and ugly since the tank is in the middle of the room, not actually in a corner. I'd love for it to go away. If I need it, could I put it in the refugium? What about the heater?
Finally, I have no skimmer or anything; just the tank, the LR, the LS, and the HOB filter. Should I start looking into a skimmer or anything else? And can these run in the refugium instead of the main tank?
Sorry about so many questions, just anxious!
Here is a pic of mine. There is a "U" shape tube that is actually the syphon.

johngebw

I have the same one and works great !
Originally Posted by hot883
Here is a pic of mine. There is a "U" shape tube that is actually the syphon.