plans for a canopy?

bkvreef

Is there anywhere that I can find plans for a 72" X 18" canopy?
I have seen some with a lid on top, a door on front (you lift up), and with a hinge that raises the entire front of the canopy.
Any suggestions or preferences.
I have a retrofit lighting that I'll need to attach to the canopy.

fedukeford

im in the middle of building a canopy for my 125 right now, once its done ill post some pics if you want, and mabey draw a diagram

bkvreef

Heres another question. Presently I have P.C. lighting so heat isn't as much an issue.
How tall should I make my canopy if I'm going to stay with the P.C.?
How tall if I decide to do MH?

thegrog

Originally Posted by bkvreef
Heres another question. Presently I have P.C. lighting so heat isn't as much an issue.
How tall should I make my canopy if I'm going to stay with the P.C.?
How tall if I decide to do MH?
IMO, build it to handle MH lighting. That way, if/when you upgrade you will be set.
PC lighting needs to be only 3-4 inches from water surface. MH on the other hand needs to be 12" away from the surface at a minimum. Give yourself a few inches to place reflectors, wiring, ect.

kat 4

Des anyone know of any canopies that are good for retrofit lighting? I have that too and it has metal halides in it..
We had one specially built by a cabinet guy and it cost about 250.00. He made it out of melamine (black) and it is about 13" tall. Then he made a hole to attach the fan... the doors are on the front and swing down. It works great - I can take a photo if you need it...

bkvreef

Originally Posted by Kat 4
Des anyone know of any canopies that are good for retrofit lighting? I have that too and it has metal halides in it..
We had one specially built by a cabinet guy and it cost about 250.00. He made it out of melamine (black) and it is about 13" tall. Then he made a hole to attach the fan... the doors are on the front and swing down. It works great - I can take a photo if you need it...
I'd appreciate a picture, I'm a visual learner

nigerbang

If anyone has seen plans on building a canopy for a 92 corner if they could let me know where it would be greatly apperciated..

kat 4

Hi - ok here it is. The back has a cut out area for all the cords, etc. We have a 75 megaflow overflow reef. The corallife aqua pro light is a retrofit which we screwed into the top. Hope this helps - forgot to clean it before taking the photo! The front doors fold down. It works great.

jjjoey

my mom is really interested in getting a canopy built for her 125, but she dosent know where to begin or where to go.

mitremark

I built mine 73x19 (for a 72x18). I used 1x10 oak to make the outside and stained it to match my stand. I am not using MH lights so the top is only 8 inches above the tank. Just filling my tank so the canopy is sitting in my dining room floor so no pictures until FRI.

fitchguy

I found a great looking canopy off the wonderful auction site. It was $195 Shipped! I attatched a picture of it here. The back is completely open as well. I was going to build one but after pricing it all out this was cheaper. If you would like more info PM me or email me at themurphys17@yahoo.com

teresaq

fitchguy-- I bought the same one. I still need to attach the door and the top, but its already stained and painted on the inside.

bkvreef

Originally Posted by misfit
Just a thought.
If you build a Canopy build it as big as possible(with in reason) because you can always build something to drop the lights a few inches no matter if it is PC'S, Halides, Or T5, It would be real hard to raise the lights in a canopy.I made my stand and canopy for my 210.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/176860/diy-210-stand-and-canopy
:cheer:
Wow misfit Awesome job!
Is there any way I could get a detailed plan that you used to build your canopy? :help:

misfit

Sorry I dont have any plans. It was a design as I go project.I had some Ideas in my head as I went and that was the end result.I would be glad to awnser any questions that you have or send you some pics if you like.