Plant identification

ghoztz

One of my pieces of LR came with a small green plant of about 3-4 strands, it has little bubble-like things at the end of its branches, the best way for me to describe them would be like headphones/earbuds or flat circles, like suction cups or something.
Anyway, parts of it are clear//or turning clear (the ends of some branches, so I'm afraid its dying. To me, it looks as if it is wilting...but, then my mom noticed that one strand, the darkest green one, seemed to be latching onto another rock (closer to the pump), and also it looks like it has small roots aiming for the sand below it. Is it dying, or is it possible it is moving/multiplying? The more I look at it the more I think it may be trying to multiply or move, because a lot of the branches are aiming towards the sand...but it could just be dying.
I don't have a camera...
So basically, what is it / could it be, and what do you think it is doing?
Thanks.

trigger11

My only guess would be Halameda which is a macro algae plant. A good picture is really worth a thousand words though.

bs21

it sounds to me like it could be caulerpa. halimeda is also a possibility but without pic can't say for sure
first pic is caulerpa and second is halimeda not my pics but best i could do not being home
anyways if your tank is still cycling it may be dying but could still come back. I am no macroalgae expert but possibly lighting could be the problem.

ghoztz

I believe its Grape Caulerpa, I looked for more pictures and it looks a lot like it.
Apparently when it starts to produce it losses color, dies off, and then comes back....
"great macroalgae. sops up excess nutrients,nice to look at, and a good food for herbivores. but beware!! if you discover one day that your tank is kind of cloudy, almost milky, watch the cualerpa closely. when it comes time for reproduction, the cualerpa gives off the milky white substance, then dies within a day or two. it will first lose all of it's color, then completely disintegrate, and make a mess of your water quality."
"Description:
Caulerpa is a fast growing attractive algae of which there are many variations with leaves that look like ferns, grapes, etc. Not surprisingly, the different types are named after the look of their leaves. All grow rapidly by sending out runners which are held in place by root like holdfasts.
Good or Bad?:
Caulerpa is generally considered good when it stays where it is suppose too, but it can easily become a weed that can be difficult to eradicate in the reef tank. If you introduce Caulerpa into your main tank, either on purpose or accident, keep a close eye on it and prune heavily to keep it in check.
Notes:
Having Caulerpa growing in the reef tank was once considered a sign of success. Today, it is more often considered a sign of trouble as the Caulerpa can quickly spread and become a weed. Caulerpa is usually not kept in the display tank anymore unless a lagoon tank is the primary focus. Most Caulerpa is maintained in filters or refugia where it can be confined. When part of it is harvested from the these systems, it is acting as a nutrient export mechanism. In other words, the nitrates and other compounds the algae absorbs as it grows is removed from the system when a portion of the algae is removed.
Some species, especially Grape C. can go sexual and disintegrate overnight adding substantial biological load to the tank. This can be minimized by heavy pruning which seems to retard this tendency. There is also some evidence that keeping the lighting on 24/7 will prevent this from happening. This is obviously only an option when the algae is housed in a refugia or sump. Herbivorous fish like tangs will sometimes help to keep the Caulerpa in check.
Caulerpa growth seems to be best under medium to high intensity, low color temperature lighting. Inexpensive Mercury Vapor or outdoor PC lighting works well when trying to maximize the growth of Caulerpa for filters or refugia. It will even grow vigorously under normal incandescent lighting."
Should I get rid of it?

rcoultas

if it is grape caulerpa it can, in a short time become a nuisance in a display tank. If you have it in a refuge then it is very good to have - does a great job of sopping up nitrates - given the choice though most would prefer chaeto instead since it is not so invasive